Chapter 9.2 - So Close Yet So Far

It was finally the day of the Event Selection Exam. It was almost time for the commanders to meet up in the Special Building. We were in our classroom as our classmates exchanged a few last words before the exam.

"Everyone, can I have your attention please," Hirata was standing on the podium, "The exam will begin soon so I would just like to say a few words. Even though not everyone is participating, it is important that we cheer for whoever's participating and that whoever's participating do their very best. Let's win this battle!"

That got the class fired up. Soon after, Chabashira-sensei came to pick up Hirata and asked him to follow her to the Special Building. As for us, we were told to stay in the classroom for now and wait for instructions.

A few minutes had gone by. At this moment, Hirata and Arisu were probably picking the events. Each had to pick five events from their ten events, then the school randomly chooses seven events out of the total ten that were picked by both classes. Of course, the class had already agreed on which events were certain and which participants to choose for every event including Class A's events, but in the end, the decisions were in Hirata's hands.

Although the rules stated that the commanders of the losing classes would be expelled, every commander had a Protection Point. Whoever loses will just have their Protection Points stripped instead. Therefore, there will be no expulsions, but the class points and standings will indubitably fluctuate.

A little while had gone by when an announcement could be heard through the classroom's speakers.

"Students of Classes A and D, please head over to the basketball field for the first event of the Event Selection Exam."

"Yes! Basketball!" Ken cried out.

"It's a guaranteed win!"

With that, Class D students confidently head over to the basketball field and met up with Class A as well as some instructors who were probably here to announce the participants chosen and state the rules.

"Sudou Ken of Class D and Kito Hayato of Class A. Please step forward."

The instructor then went on to explain the rules. The rules were rules of basic 1 versus 1 pickup basketball game. The first to 11 points win. It was a game on half-court. Every time you get a rebound, you have to go back to the three-point line. The points system were the same. 2 points for a basket inside the three-point line, 3 points for a basket from outside. Shooting fouls resulted in two free-throws worth one point each, while other fouls resulted in the person that was fouled having the ball. The instructors will act as referees. It was pretty straightforward, but anyone who was clueless about basketball would understandably be a little lost.

Apparently, Kito had some experience playing basketball. However, it would be safe to assume that Ken was the better player. After all he was arguably the best basketball player in the school, at least the best first-year. On the surface, it was all but a guaranteed win for Class D. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean Kito won't give Ken a hard time. He was tall and intimidating. Physically, he was strong.

Ken was confident, but one versus one games aren't that straightforward.

After both players were ready, an instructor who was the main referee blew the whistle.

The jump ball method was used to determine who got the ball first. Ken won the jump ball, and got the ball first.

"Let's go, Sudou, let's go!" Class D students cheered him on, which motivated him.

On the other hand, Class A students were calm.

In this exam, the commanders could use one substitute if they wished.