The Getaway

"Can you keep a secret for me?" Harry asked. He knows he is not supposed to do any magic but his cloak is not doing magic and in a life or death situation he thinks it is fine. When Kelly nodded he explained why. "This is a very special cloak, it once belonged to my father. When I put this on I become invisible. Do you want to see?"

"Yes please" Kelly said, easily distracted by the magic of the cloak. Harry put it on under his head and she watched as his lower body disappeared.

"This is a special magic cloak, yes magic is real and I will answer your questions quietly as we go okay, it will hide us from the bad guys." Harry said, throwing the cloak over both of them. He started the walk towards where he remembered Washing D.C. to be.

They walked for about two hours until they found a bus stop. Harry had explained all about magic to Kelly and answered any questions she had that he was able to. In turn she told him all about her Daddy and that he was a brave marine, fighting for his country overseas. She said that they were being protected by NIS after her mommy saw something bad, but she was not sure what it was that she saw.

They decided that they would sneak onto a bus that was going towards Washington DC. They had to wait a couple hours before someone else was there for the bus to stop. Harry and Kelly snuck on behind the person and sat in the back on the bus where it was empty. They each had one of the protein bars that was in Harry's backpack from Kelly's mom. By now the wreck was hopefully discovered because Harry still felt awful about not being able to do more for Shannon as Harry found out, Kelly's mom.

Kelly fell asleep with her head against Harry's shoulder as they rode the bus into the city. He was terrified because he did not know where to go or what to do. He was alone in a new country with only an eight year old as he found out, who was scared and sad because her mommy is in heaven now and her Daddy is overseas. Kelly talked about how he was the best Daddy in the world and that he would love Harry and be happy to meet him as well.

It took an hour and a half to get back into Washington DC where they got off the bus and blended into the crowd, trying not to touch anybody.

"Okay, do you know somewhere safe to go?" Harry asked. "I do not live in America and I know you said NIS was helping you but they did not do so well before. I do not know if I trust them to watch us again." Harry said. He knows it was not the person's fault but the agent shouldn't have been alone and if he was not alone, where was the other agent(s)?

"We can try to go home, or to the military base, or we can get on another bus and try to find Grandpa Jack. He would help and he had lots of friends who could help too." Kelly said. She remembered the different plans she made with her parents if anything happened. Usually she would go to the base but because her Daddy was overseas she did not want to go alone.

They sat together on the bench and looked at when the bus for Stillwater, PA left. The next bus was at 1 in the afternoon. It was only 10:30 by the time they made it into the city. Harry took Kelly to the family bathroom to clean up her head and make sure that it was not bleeding anymore. Now that they were somewhat safer, he was starting to crash. He let Kelly use the bathroom then used it himself.

They got onto the bus to Stillwater and sat in the back again away from others. The bus ride would take around 4 hours so Harry decided to take a nap. He was up all night protecting Kelly and needed to rest before he made things worse for them. While asleep the ride seemed to fly by. Kelly woke him up when they got close and they made sure everything was on them as they left.

Once away from the station Harry took the cloak off. He put it into the backpack on his front in case he needed to take it out quickly. They were on a road that had signs leading into town and one that said the old mines were that way. Kelly recognized the signs from when she came with her parents. Harry gave her some of the water that was in the backpack on his front. He took a couple sips himself but was fine lasting longer from experience.

"Okay I am gonna follow you now. We are going to go straight to your grandpa's house okay?" Harry said.

"Okay it is not far from here" Kelly said. She was holding Harry's hand and making slow progress. She was tired and sore and sad and just wanted her Mommy, Daddy and grandpa already.

"What is his address? Just incase you miss it, we are both looking then." Harry said when he noticed her drooping. She gave him the address and described the house and store for him. Due to the time they would check the store first and then the house as it is nearby.

They walked for a bit getting closer to the town center where the shop is when Kelly started slowing down a lot more.

"What is wrong? Are you okay?" Harry asked. They were getting close so he wanted to just keep going.

"Harry my head hurts and I'm really sore and tired." Kelly said. She started crying more so Harry adjusted both backpacks on his back, one on each shoulder. He grabbed Kelly and picked her up the best he could. He wished that she was lighter making it easier to carry her. Suddenly Kelly's weight was reduced and she was easy to carry. Harry realized that it must have been some accidental magic from how desperate he was to help her.

He kept walking until he came to a store in the middle of the road. The Stillwater General Store was an old building that was fairly well kept. The lights were on and there was someone inside.

It was an older man with Grey hair and laugh line wrinkles. He was wearing blue jeans and a red and white flannel over what looks like a t-shirt but Harry wasn't completely sure. He paused on the street for a minute trying to think of how to approach this man. He was a stranger holding Jackson's crying granddaughter when they were not supposed to be near there.

Kelly had cried herself to sleep it seemed as she was quiet and not moving anymore. Harry felt awful for her and knew that this man would help but he was scared.

He built up enough courage to open the shop door. As it opened he heard a bell sound and looked up to see an old fashioned bell above the door. The store had a few rows of materials filled with a little but of everything one might need from food to tools to paint and more. The building was cool against his warm sunburnt skin from walking in the sun for a while.

The man behind the counter looked over at the door and Harry could see the moment he noticed the little girl. The man was quick to walk around the counter towards him. He stopped right in front of Harry who was feeling really shy and scared.

"Kelly?" The man said looking at the girl in Harry's arms.