Three «A Crown for the King»

——————————————

"She's your daughter, grandfather. She needs you. Rhaenyra needs you. You must do what is right, be the King."

——————————————

——————————————

It was late at night when there was a silence cast along the castle only to be interrupted by soft but quick steps and the thunders that the lightning storm outside the castle had brought with it. Visenya hurried through the corridors, finding herself a way to a specific chamber where she was headed to. Having arrived, she quickly caught her breath before she raised her hand to knock.

"Grandfather, i-"

Visenya immediately stopped entering the room when she spotted the woman with long white hair kneeled next to his bed. With a jerk, Visenya turned and pressed her back against the wall. She could hear Rhaenyra sobbing. Cautiously, she leaned a little more toward the door so she could listen in.

"If you wish me to bear it, then defend me." she could hear Rhaenyra begging her father. Visenya listened in silence. Holding her breath, thinking her stepmother could hear it. "And my children."

Her sentence was cut short by a lightning bolt that shot through the dark sky outside in a split second. Visenya stared at the ground in front of her feet as she heard Viserys' gasping breath. Followed by several sobs from the princess.

Visenya peered past the door to see Rhaenyra pressing her hand in front of her mouth to keep her sobbing down. Visenya silently cast her a compassionate and sad look. She had never seen her stepmother so upset, with her hands clutched to her forehead.

Visenya closed her eyes and gathered the courage to enter the room before someone whispered in her ear. "Jewel."

With a jolt, Visenya turned with a jerk only to find herself looking up at Aemond's face. "Taking a late night stroll?" He seemed amused at seeing the slight shock on her face.

"Aemond, what are you doing here." Visenya hissed at him in a whisper so she would not disturb Rhaenyra. She took a step forward so that they were another step away from Viserys' chamber. Aemond raised an eyebrow. "I was just on my way to my chambers when I spotted you here, peering into my father's room."

Visenya lifted her chin slightly and looked obliquely at her cousin, uncle, or whatever he was now. He still had his eye patch on and she frowned slightly. "And since when does that interest you?"

Aemond threw her a slight grin and looked down at her. "Since it looks like you're hiding something, little jewel."

"Indeed, looks." Visenya tilted her head slightly and a brief silence fell between the two. A long silence actually. Finally, Aemond rolled his eyes before trying to push past her. "Then I guess you won't have a problem with me visiting my father." he spoke in a heavy voice and grabbed her arm. "Don't-" Visenya turned her arm around swiftly so she could grab his arm with her hand. His eye slowly shot up and glanced at her. Then he turned slowly to face her again.