Chapter 75 - Strike of the Hammer

1 hour later. Near Bakersfield. 

Inside a Marriot hotel on Gibson Street, the lobby is fortified to the core, with many Inquisitors and Knights placing a handful of sentry turrets near the entrance, as well as tons of cargo boxes storing all sorts of weapons and equipment. Some rooms are filled with some Inquisitors on guard, some even prisoners and hostages as a form of leverage against the UEF. Pairs of guards are stationed near each elevator, ready to inspect any sort of disturbance detected in the hotel, all while the lights on the ceiling illuminate the floor. Those without weapons keep watch of the monitors showing the latest Zlocan activity in the region. 

All looking normal so far. 

On the sixth floor, there is a meeting room with a large, oval table in the middle with connected computers next to each seat, with one showing through the TV monitor in front of it, showing between escorting troops, patrolling mechas, and much more. There are four knights inside, plus a particular individual holding a golden plated sword, with long hair with bleached silver around it, tapping his foot repeatedly on the floor. 

Dakrin Cavendish that is. Still eager to prove himself to all his cohorts, especially the Zlocu. He sneers at those next to him while inspecting their blasters. 

"How long it'll be until I get to something really good for once?" he says with crossed arms. 

"To start, wait for orders from high command," a male Knight replies, which makes another one on his left chuckle. Dakrin groans while looking back and forth between the two and the screen. 

"C'mon! All I've done is to keep 'invigilating' every corner of the floor for even a tiny fly and you wouldn't even call me when there's a real danger for you!" 

"We could, but reports put doubt in how much help you would provide us in that case." 

"Besides, you got more important problems to deal with," a female Knight adds as she reloads her rifle. The others nod along. "So focus on your job or else." 

"Fine..." Dakrin mutters as he looks away from the group. But just as he's about to sling a pot next to him to the ground, the TV screen cuts off and the ones in the computer darken as well, alongside the lights in the ceiling. And although there's sunlight outside, the absence of electricity is enough to make the Zlocu stand guard and inspect every corner of the room for any potential cause. 

"Oh great, now there's a blackout. Want to me inspect the source then? Uh?" 

"No thanks, you'll blow it anyway," the male Knight laughs alongside his teammates, which makes Dakrin groan once more. 

Motherfuckers... 

"Strange, my sensors indicate that there's no report on a fuselage burnout anywhere in this sector," another Zlocan Knight replies while using a non-electric device that inspects the power in the building as well as any potential damage detected inside. This makes the others turn around and take a peek to prove his suspicions. 

"There are no reports coming from the electricity room either," the female Knight replies as well. Dakrin approaches the group while stumbling on another. The Knight tries to raise his fist but backs down when approaching the others. 

"It's obviously a hacking attempt, and it ain't math either," Dakrin says. 

"It's more than that, Dakrin. The only way something could shut down the power in this place would be through a major cable line, or hell, even Wolowitz," This statement makes the rest glance towards while keeping their rifles tight. Why make such an observation for something like this? 

"You don't mean that...!" another male Knight says before stopping himself short from further questioning a superior as she raises her hand. 

"Yeah, sure, hope your proud that your 'superior' technology got hijacked by some-" the female officer promptly slaps Dakrin before he can continue any further. He stumbles backward while wincing for a bit, before regaining his posture and rubbing his cheek from the force of the slap.