Chapter 107 - Where Have All the Good Men Gone?

October 12th, 2026. 08:39. 

The atmosphere in the newsroom now feels different than usual. Instead of normal chattering and "lovable" smiles going around by the presenters and the crew, all instead feels like an absolute void full of tragedy. No sound apart from the machinery and air conditioning around the room, with all the screens in pitch black, with only the company of the dim lights in the ceiling while the two presenters from before holding their heads down, frowns and all as the crew comes around to start broadcasting the news of the "tragedy", one that may be "hopefully" the last for these sort of people. 

After some seconds of silence pass between both the audience and the presenters, all taking deep breaths over the gravity that is the news of yesterday, a supposed show of strength now turned into a smoking wreck full of nothing, a cultural relic that's bygone of the city's fame and most of the names of those enshrined now left in tatters. Who knows what can come next to it if either side wins the battle for the city? Only this answer can be known in the most dire of circumstances in one way or another for everyone. 

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Today's news is ones we cannot sugarcoat, for the severity of the situation presented is one not to be ignored by any means necessary," Jessica says while holding her hands together while sniffing for a brief moment. Tom merely nods in response as the cameras turn to him. 

"That's correct, Jessica. Yesterday, around 7 PM in the evening, what was supposed to be a demonstration of defense in the name of our beloved American citizens turned into a tremendous tragedy as the supposed energy cells for the missiles blew up right as they were about to fire, destroying the entire area surrounding the Chinese Theater and Hollywood Boulevard," Tom says while clearing his throat for a bit and adjusting the red tie, almost if he wants to look firm to the audience, both Zlocan and Human alike, and never showing anything else to the contrary. 

"It's been reported that around 300 people were killed that day, alongside some 450 gravely injured people still in critical condition. What kind of terrorists managed to infiltrate that far into our Evolved Zones and commit such heinous acts?!" Jessica says as her voice breaks, to which proceeds to take some deep breaths once more as she shakes for a bit, with some murmuring coming from the audience too, all desperate to know the answer of those responsible for the attack. 

"Calm down, Jessica. We all truly yearn for the blood of those responsible, but unfortunately, we still lack sufficient information to catch those responsible for the terrorist attack. However, we do have a perfect answer in who should protect us from any further threats. And it's from everyone's favorite host from American Truth," Tom says while standing up with a clenched fist, enough to get the audience to stand up and shout in support over what's coming next. 

"Y-yes, that's right, the one we need. Everyone, be ready to hear the upcoming bombshell report coming from your one and only favorite reporter from American Truth, she will tell the answer!" Jessica adds as she shows a wide smile on her face as the lights turn off, same elaboration and preparation, with the same cheerful announcer coming up with the same words that are uttered whenever The Hartman Derteminant starts, and when the one and only Sally turns around, this time with a fierce scowl on her face, many knew what is coming from her. 

"Well hello there, here's the latest knocking dose from your one and only, Sally Hartman on a very special report for today," Sally says while keeping a restrained tone from her usual self, likely due to what she's about to reveal. 

"Now, Sally, would you care to inform the viewers of the latest tragedy and how it relates to your 'bombshell'?" the announcer asks, deviating a bit from the usual question of the segment. 

"You're goddamn right I have, it's what they want to hear. All of us are still hurt and angry over the terrible terrorist attack on the Chinese Theater, a once proud landmark of the city now reduced to smithereens at the hands of cruel traitors who refuse the help of Mister Brando and the Zlocu!" The audience roars in agreement, raising their fists in the air as they fill the entire room while she smirks deviously, knowing it's coming closer.