Chapter 79.2 - Freedom

A moment they could have not seen coming in a moment like this, just as they managed to find and rescue the remaining prisoners to get them out. They thought this moment could have been an easy save for the team, for the conscripts to prove themselves worthy of the UEF. Maybe even on equal terms with most soldiers present in the force, something worth celebrating over and a tale transmitted through time, to even have a shred of respect.

But as they could see, it comes crashing down to a reality check, as they now are face to face to the one dreaded warrior whose name strikes a chord in the military world, and those who were unfortunate enough to encounter this kind of man who claimed millions.

Millions of lost souls, wicked and otherwise, all for a view many may not find worth following in their lifetimes unless it calls for it. And even if said job only involves killing and money, it doesn't even matter to him. For him, what matters the most is acceptance.

Acceptance of their role in the grand scheme of things.

The team can't help but stand paralyzed at the sight of Boris, who doesn't hold any weapon at hand. Some of their hands get clammy, and others tremble like never before, their eyes wide open, enough to show the whites. Mouths left wide open, some turn away from Boris if it means not incurring his wrath. All while they are still surrounded by red lighting and the sound of alarms, blaster fire and shouting still heard around them, it's like a distraction at this point.

But Adi in particular stands out, freezing while trying to utter some words from him to the point it borders on a stutter, with Rian only clenching his fists and breathing heavily. This is not what he wanted when seeing Boris again.

How convenient of this asshole to show up. Just fucking great...

"You... You are still here?" Adi asks with a trembling tone, finally getting the words out of his mouth. Boris, however, doesn't even give anything else other than a small smirk on his face and stands still in front of them, his jacket covering his hidden weapon while tilting his head to the left for a bit. "You won't even say a word, monster?" Adi asks once more, with a bit of roughness coming from it.

After a moment of silence between the two, Boris gives his answer.

"You are as unsettled and spineless as usual, Adi." This is enough to make the rest turn their glances at Adi, with some even gasping in response. How can it be that someone like Adi may have encountered a man like Boris? Many of these questions fly into their minds while still trying to process the next course of action against this kind of man.

"How do you know him?!" the tanned prisoner asks Adi while slowly lifting his gun at Boris, only for a fellow companion to put it down, something that the prisoner doesn't try to lift again. The intent is clear on this point.

"Was he your partner?!" the female prisoner barks at Adi, prompting another to hold her back from Adi in case of a potential assault against him.

"He never was supposed to be..." Adi replies with a soft tone while looking down in response. This makes Rian touch his shoulder while keeping his other hand near the light blade just in case. All of this while Boris keeps the smirk plastered on his face, clearly relishing on the thought of Adi's partners turning on him.

"Were you aware of his past? As a soldier from three decades ago?" Boris asks. The others glance at Boris while keeping their distance.

"Is it really necessary, Boris? You know that this life means nothing anymore, a mark on myself for my sins," Adi says as his voice breaks a little and turns away from him. This sight only makes the rest furrow their brows as they glance at Boris, who now lets out a scoff.