Chapter XIII

A week had passed since the last mission and they finally found themselves in Russia. It was freezing, the Russian winter being as fierce as ever. They arrived there for a few hours already, and the wish of going back to Mexico or London was stronger than they thought.
"Alright boys. Plan is simple. Soap, Madison, you go on the window, in the east, Alejandro, the west one. Rodolfo, go to the door at their signal. Grave, you and your men go on south and north. I'll be here with the sniper. I'll join you when I make sure everything is good, yeah?"
"Roger."
John stood up, being followed by the rest.
"Let's get ourselves a win, yeah LT?
Ghost just nodded, looking through his sniper, as everyone went to their positions. John got inside the house first, through the window, followed by Madison. She started to believe that she was more than a doctor at this point. Ghost took his time before the mission to teach her more about how to use the gun and some aim tricks, so she finally felt ready for a mission.
  John cleared the area quickly, announcing through the coms about the status of the buildings, receiving a positive answer from Alejandro as well.
"Alright Rodolfo do you copy?"
"Yes sir."
"Good, go in. Out."
   In a moment, Rodolfo was now inside the house, running upstairs, followed by the two men and Madison. They were welcomed on the first floor by multiple doors, all closed.
Each of them walked in a room, multiple shooting sounds ringing around the house.
"I found it!" Madison yelled from a room.
They quickly found their way to her. She was standing in front of a control panel, next to a dead body. John walked in slowly, checking the corpse as Alejandro worked with the location of the missile.
"Did you kill him?"
"Well yeah…I didn't receive a gun just to look at it, did i?"
"...fair point."
"She's a soldier now Soap, you should get used to it." Rodolfo said.
"Ghost, this is Alejandro, the missile is now going to the Pacific ocean, no one will be hurt anymore."
"Roger. Find your way out, the helicopter is already here. See you in it."
"Yes sir."

As they left the house, an explosion was triggered, throwing them away. No one got hurt, but, as soon as they got up, bullets were fired at them from all directions. Ghost tried to shoot them from the helicopter, while they were shooting themselves at the enemies.
Everyone got shot, at least once, but there was no deadly wound, fortunately. The enemy fire stopped, giving them the opportunity to walk towards the ladder. John was first, pushing himself up the ladder, throwing himself next to the lieutenant, followed by Alejandro and Rodolfo.
But Madison? There was no sign of her. She wasn't going up the ladder, so the helicopter started flying away.
"Yo! Go back! Madison is still down there!" John yelled at the pilot.
"Its a fucking order go back down!" Ghost spoke, his voice echoing in the helicopter.
Alejandro looked down at the battlefield, noticing Madison. She was laying, the snow around her turning slowly red. He widened his eyes.
"She…seems dead.."
"What are you talking about?" John said, jumping from his seat, going to check out himself.
He clenched his fists hardly, his body starting to shake in anger.
"No, she must be just hurt. Let's go back and check!"
"The fuck are you doing man?! We told you to go back down!"
"I'm sorry gentlemen, General Shepherd told me to leave as soon as you four are up here. I only take orders from him." The pilot's voice rang in the coms, making Ghost kick the floor with his boot.
"That fucking motherfucker will fuckin pay for that. And you too asshole! You hear me?"
  Her breathing was slowly fading away. Her body was numb, she couldn't feel an inch of it. She couldn't move, or say anything. She watched the helicopter flying away. She heard her brothers' screams, Ghosts, Alejandro's, Rodolfo's. All of them were screaming, swearing, begging the pilot to turn back for her. But her hopes dropped when she noticed the helicopter disappearing into the white sky.
"Please…don't leave me to die here…" she mumbled.
She closed her eyes, a tear running down her cheek. That was it. She was going to die, either bleeding out or due to hipotermia. Russian winters are the worst, with such low temperatures that one night catching her outside in the cold would bring her there. She was already numb, it was a matter of time until she would start having hallucinations and eventually die.
She didn't know how much time had passed since she was laying in the snow. Minutes? Hours? She had stopped counting a long time ago. Her lips were frozen, dry, her body shivering uncomfortably. She closed her eyes waiting for her end.
"Maddie I'm home!" John's voice rang into her head.
She opened her eyes. She was wearing a pair of jeans and a baggy sweater. She got up from her couch, running to the hallway, meeting her brother, waiting for her with wide arms. She hugged him tightly, the warmth of his body comforting her to the moon and back. He finally came home, after so much time…but he wasn't alone. Behind him was a man standing. He was taller than her brother, his dark hair, styled in an undercut, fitting him perfectly. He looked down at her with a pair of cold, emotionless eyes.
"Maddie, this is my friend, Simon Riley. I asked him to join us for Christmas this year."
"Madison MacTavish, I'm happy to finally meet you Simon. My brother talks a lot about you."
"My pleasure is all mine, Madison." He said, grabbing her hand, gently kissing her knuckles.

Ghost looked down at the unconscious pilot, his lips pressed hard together. Even behind his mask, everyone noticed the anger in his eyes. He looked like he was ready to kill just to calm himself down. John was standing next to him, kicking the man on the floor again.
"Fuck you!" He screamed, his foot hitting his back once again.
Tears were running down his cheeks, a mixture of pain and anger in his eyes.
"Once he's awake, im fucking doing this again…this motherfucker…" Ghost said under his breath, letting his head back.
That's what he was afraid of the most. Get attached to someone and lose them…yet the circumstances were worse. She could have been alive, and if they would have turned back to her she could have been alive now. She could have visited him at night for some cuddles to fall asleep.
But she wasn't.
And she will never be.
He was sure she was already dead. And that thought was slowly killing him. Yet, he didn't want to imagine John's feelings. Madison was the last family member alive. The last person that was waiting for him  with open arms at home. The last person that cared for him, loved him.
And the last person Ghost would ever love.