Choose Your Last Words

The group arrived at Neteyams side only to see lo'ak disappear into the water, racing off on his ilu.
"come on!" Neteyam called to them, "Hes going to warn Payakan."

Faes eyes widened, following the others lead and letting out a call for ilu as she jumped into the water. Her heart raced as they skipped across the waves, the water splashing into her face focusing her as they called out to lo'ak to come back.

They weren't supposed to travel past the reef, the water became darker out there, the waves more unforgiving. Not that Fae and her friends were particularly good at sticking to that rule. Or any of the clan rules really.

A large Tulkun surfaced, blowing water in destress, and only then did lo'ak slow, allowing the others to finally catch up.

"Hes been tagged! look!" Lo'ak called, checking on Payakan. He had been struck by a torpedo. It would detonate if they didnt move fast.

Neteyam slid off his ilu, following Lo'ak onto Payakans back, turning to help Ao'nung up and then Fae, grasping her arm and steadying her on the Tulkun's back.

The torpedo was imbedded deeply into his flesh, Lo'ak tugged on it, causing Payakan to let out a whine of pain. Fae's eyes softened, slipping down his side and back into the water, she swam until she was eye to eye with lo'aks soul brother.

He let out another whine as he saw her, perhaps he recognised her, Fae had often imagined the things she would say if she ever met Payakan. But now, she just felt pity. She just wanted him to be safe.

She lay a hand under his eye gently, leaning her head as the na'vi on his back tied a rope around the torpedo in the hopes of pulling it out on an ilu.
Payakan let out another distressed noise, and only then did Fae see the approaching ship. Terror flooded her veins and the cold metalic grey, so alien in their world.

She looked up at Neteyam, he was also glancing back at the ship, calling to the others to pick up the pace.
He looked down briefly at where she was treading water in the ocean, her hands smoothing Payakans skin, giving her an encouraging nod as he signalled to pull.

Fae hummed to Payakan, singing against the chaotic sound of the na'vis panic.
She sang the same songs she had once sang with her own Tulkun, and Payakans eyes never left hers.
It was a mutual grief they shared.

With a yell, the torpedo was yanked free as the ship neared, portholes opening and deploying weaponised metallic monsters. Fae let her hand rest a moment longer on Payakan, feeling Eywa's pulse in the way he saw into her soul, before lo'ak told him to run.

It was a blur of panic splashes as Fae grasped her ilu's saddle, pulling herself on, turning to leave only to stop with a upset hiss as she saw Neteyam grasp the torpedo.
"You guys need to go. Get to safety, ill try to buy us time."

He gave Fae an apologetic look, and Fae had never wanted him to be less of a hero more.

"Neteyam, please."

He flashed her a grin, though she knew she was the only one to notice his hands shake.

"Take care of Tuk, Fae. Keep her close for me and i'll be back before you know it. Promise."

And with that, he disappeared below the waves, she had not time to argue or to call out. No time to follow him before Lo'ak yelled to leave, sudden whizzing shots being fired from their guns and their ships. Fear shot through her heart as she dived down on her ilu, sticking close to Tuk and Kiri, as they sped away.

Fae spun through the water, a grey monster appearing behind her suddenly, reaching out its ghastly guns to trap her under the waves. Coral mazes gained her distance and she sped through the colours of life, the grey beast destroying its way, forcing its own path instead of moving with the ocean. Her lungs tightened with her distress, forcing her heart to calm as it jumped wildly.

As she gained speed and distance, she let go of her Ilu, allowing her creature to race further on and disappear easily without her accompanying.

She swan swiftly into a local flower, only to find Tuk, Lo'ak and Tsireya already inside. She blinked.
Tuk let out a gasp, her breathing already erratic, leaping at Fae and into her arms, burring her small head into Faes shoulder and hair.

"Have you seen Neteyam?" Fae asked though she already knew the answer, her heart would not stop threating, and her head was light with worry.
lo'ak shook his head, placing a hand on Fea's shoulder,

"He will be fine, Fae, do not worry. He is always okay."

Fae nodded something heavy in her chest.

Fae pressed Tuktirey's hand to her wrist, letting the girl feel her slowing pulse and encouraging her to replicate it, before the group took a slow, deep breath and dived down.

Fae held onto Tuk's hand as she swam beside the girl, in tikes like this, she admired the strength of the Sullys. Yet their war torn state upset her greatly.

Tuks small hand tightened suddenly, and Fae had not time to sign a warning before a great net enwrapped the girls, her breath knocked out of her as she slammed into Tsireya's side.

She saw Lo'aks eyes widen, grabbing onto the net as it was slowly lifted out. Fae regretted not carrying a knife, not pushing Tuk out of harms way, failing to keep her promises.

They broke the surface, Lo'ak frantically attempting to cut through in vain, Tuk was pressed against her side, Reya trying desperately to snap the binding by Lo'aks knife.

They fell suddenly, cold steel catching their fall. Fae had never felt such hardness beneath her, she wondered if the humans entire planet was made completely out of this foul entrapment. She could not think of a single tuneful melody or calming word to sing of this fate.

Tuk sprung up, her mothers flame burning bright within her as she bared her teeth at the soldiers. They pointed their guns at her, Fae grabbed her sharply, pulling the young girl behind her as lo'ak stood in front of both Tsireya and Fae, knife pointed.

An Avatar made his way through the soldiers, he looked as Jake Sully did, but his eyes lacked what Jake Sully had that made him Na'vi.

He disarmed Lo'ak easily, and Fae cried out to deaf ears of the alien monsters, uncaring to her horror and mocking of her rage.

As fear over took her body at the heavy hands and their constraints placed on each of them, frustrated tears at her lack of movement threatened to spill, and she hissed and snapped at their arms, teeth bared like the rapid animal they saw her as.
Fae whispered words of comfort to Tuk as she began to pray.

A horn sounded,

The People had come.