Blood Runs Thicker Than Water

Negotiations passed above their heads, promises for life in the exchange of death.

Lo'ak held his breath as he watched his father approach, only to stop.

The world seemed to prickle, the air static with anticipation as all of a sudden Payakan launch himself out of the waves, crashing down and onto the ship, sending soldiers flying as they shot useless bullets. Faes eyes widened, a smile dancing across her face at the act of bravery.

Lo'ak turned to meet her eye briefly, as if to recall their past conversation of the Tulkun. And Fae saw it, she now knew his side of the story and she nodded to Lo'ak, grief lifting from her shoulders.

The ship tilted beneath their feet with Palakan's weight, she moved with practiced ease to stay upright, flowing with the water. She danced in the brutality of this war, twirling like the bullets fired at their hearts.

They tugged against their restraints in vain, pulling and pushing against the rails, Tuk huffing in frustration.

There was a small craxk in the railing beneath Fae's hand, being refilled with energy as she pushed her body against it, slamming into the rail uncaring of the bruises it would leave on her sides.
She felt the metal bend beneath her, almost feeling the bonds snap before she heard a click right beside her ear, and cold metal pressing against her temple.

She froze, one of the Avatar soldiers gripping the back of her neck, like she was a misbehaving animal. Although, to him, she most likely was.

"Not so quickly, darli-"

He fell short, falling back against the metal with a clank, the gun that previously threatened her life now at her feet. She flicked her eyes up, meeting bright yellow ones. And her heart began to beat again.

Neteyam rushed over, flicking his knife out and cutting Reya's bounds first, then Tuk's as she immediately took Reya's outstretched hand.

"C'mon, say it," Neteyam teased lo'ak, "who is the mighty worrier?"

Lo'ak couldnt help but beam at his brother and best friend, hitting him in the shoulder, rushing to go scavenge for a weapon.

Neteyam smiled down at Fae softly, his eyes hardening as he noticed her bruised sides, a sea of deep blue and black hues.
He was careful to keep the flat of his blade touching her skin, slicing through her bindings with the sharp side.

He took her hand, hurrying across the deck as he called out to his brother.

"Bro! lets go!"

"We've got to get spider!"

Neteyam looked like he wanted to drag his brother's skxawng ass off the ship, he closed his eyes briefly, before squeezing Faes hand.

She frowned at how final the action felt.

"Fae, help Tsireya. Get them to safety."

He brought her close, pressing a gentle kiss to her forehead, his fingers running along her cheek bones, as if memorising her features into his fingerprints, before he broke away with difficulty. Fae stared at her jungle boy, she curled her lip slightly, blinking as her tongue wetted her lips nervously.

The sounds of war raged on, but she could not shake the idea of Eywa being too quiet, her presence not bringing the comfort Fae'voila so desperately searched for.

She wished she could press into Neteyams warmth, but too soon he ran after Lo'ak swiping a gun off the floor, clapping him on the back as the brothers grinned at eachother in confidence. Her eyes following the two boys as they disappeared into the ship and until Reya grabbed her hand, pulling her away.