Why do you care?

—————————Asher POV————————

  "I'll take her to my home," I say happily.

   After the small time I've been around Taylor. I quickly realized that she needs help. She seems distant from everyone. She also seems to get panicky over everything. I'm starting to think Taylor is more than just a shy girl, something else is going on.

   "That sounds like a great idea!" The nurse cheers. "Taylor?"

   Taylor violently shakes her head no. "No!!" She whines. "I said I want to stay at school!! So please just let me go to my next class." She tries to get off my lap but I tighten my hold on her.

    "Sorry sweetheart" the nurse apologizes. "I think it's best if you go home. If you don't want to go with Asher I can call your paren-"

   "I'LL GO WITH ASHER!!" Taylor yells. The nurse and I just shoot each other a confused look. "Well okay then" the nurse starts. "I'll call the attendance office then you guys can be on your way." She says while walking over to the phone. 

   I direct my attention back to the small girl sitting stiffly on my lap. While I was too focused on what the nurse was saying, Taylor managed to slip her thumb in her mouth. I slowly pull her thumb out of her mouth.

  "Taylor," I warn. "Don't do that. Your thumb is yucky," I try to explain. Taylor looks down at her lap and turns a bright shade of red. I sigh, when I get to my house I'm going to have to give her some type of fidget toy.

    "Okay, I called the front office. You're good to go!" The nurse states happily.

   "Thanks for your help!" I conclude.

   "No problem, it's my job. Just make sure that Taylor rests her leg, and also change the bandage every few hours," the nurse adds. "Also Asher, thank you for making your home such a safe place for everyone, the school loves and appreciates you!" She adds.

    I smile warmly at her and stand up with Taylor in my arms. I say my last goodbye and walk out the door. My car is in a school parking lot just across the road.

    Once we got to my black Toyota Camry, I gently set Taylor in the back seat. All while she doesn't say a word. I try to buckle her in before she finally speaks.

  "I can buckle my own seatbelt" she mumbled while snapping her seatbelt in place. I just ignore the comment and get situated in the driver's seat. I back out of the parking lot and start driving toward my apartment.

   I take a look through my rearview mirror to check on the oddly quiet Taylor. We have been driving for a few minutes and she hasn't said a single word. As I look back I see her looking out the window with her thumb in her mouth again. This is the second time I've seen her do that today. She also almost flies out of her seat every time I turn the car, how much does that girl weigh?! 

    "So Taylor, how long have you lived in this town?" I ask, trying to find out a little more about this mysterious girl.

   She takes her thumb out of her mouth and looks at me through the mirror. "6 months" she mumbles quietly.

   "Wow, that's not that long. What do your parents do?" I added. Taylor gets quiet and looks out of the window.

"Um... my d-dad is a t-teacher" she stutters.