The first steps

Asher bit his lip creeping out of Taylor's room. Distraught and lost for direction. Lost for a path back from the emotional journey he just witnessed.

  Asher whipped out his phone and locked himself in a nearby bathroom. Tears were still falling down his cheeks but at a faster pace being all alone.

He dialed the first number that came to mind. Anjali's.

Ring Ring

Anjali: Sup Asher

Asher: A-Anjali *sobbing*

Anjali was at Basketball practice when he got the call. His heart dropped. Asher and him have been best friends for as long as he can remember, and Asher never cries.

Anjali: Asher are you okay!?

Asher: N-no, Taylor just opened up about her past a-and... *shaky breath*

Anjali: Ash, please breathe

Asher: I-its bad and I d-dont know what to do. I-I need to be strong for her and help her but I don't know how. I've n-never had to deal with anything l-like this before.

Anjali: that a not your job, you can't save everyone. But what you can do is be there for her.

Asher: A-Anjali you should have heard her she was c-crying out for me to protect her.

Anjali: And you are. You are helping protect her Ash.

Asher: *muffled cries*

Anjali: You are helping her so much. I know you put a lot of pressure on yourself to always be the hero but you already are Ash. You saving lives. Your heart is so big and you have so much love and passion for what you do, It's so inspiring.

Asher: Thanks Anjali

Anjali: you need me to come over?

Asher: I'm okay now. Thank you.

Anjali: Asher you don't have to thank me. I am coming over to yours around 5 and bringing you some pizza, okay?

Asher: that's more than okay, you are the best.

Anjali: don't mention it, see you later. Take it easy.

End of call

Asher rubs his eyes sniffling. He was trying to compose himself before going out to make lunch for a kid who was already grieving. He doesn't want Lucas to become any more stressed than he already is.

This whole situation was so new for Asher, It's been a long time since he has cried like this, and it used to be about his past. His tears fell for his own body and pain. But this time his tears weren't his own, they were Taylors.

Asher picked himself up off his wall and washed his face in the sink, trying to get rid of his puffy eyes. He put on a brave face and emerged from the bathroom and into the living room.

Lucas was still sitting on the sofa, lifeless gaze cast toward the TV.

"Hey bud, sorry I took so long. Anything in particular you want for lunch?"

"Oh" he fidgeted "I'm not that hungry, thanks though." 

Asher frowned "Lucas it's been a while since you have eaten, any particular reason you don't want food?"

Lucas refused eye contact with Asher standing by the end of the couch arm. "I just feel s-sick, like I can't eat."

Asher got the idea. Lucas was obviously still deeply mourning the death of his girlfriend and the anxiety and grief attached to that were likely making him feel ill.