xxvi.

«And I'm still a believer, but I don't know why, I've never been a natural, all I do is try, try, try, I'm still on that trapeze, I'm still tryin' everything to keep you looking at me»

'Mirrorball'
Taylor Swift

irl
⚠️TW: mention of s/a⚠️

Mason asked to meet me for lunch and me being the idiot I am, agreed to it. I mean, it can't hurt to hear him out.. right? WRONG.

He took me to the restaurant where it all happened. "You've got to be kidding me." I murmured as I walked over to the table he was at. "Clover. Hi." His face was filled with sorrow and his eyes weren't lit up like they usually are.

"Hi." I said, practically emotionless. "It's been a while." I side eyed the wall beside me. "It's been like a week." A slight grin appeared on his face. "Yeah. A long one." A sigh escaped his lips. "Look. I'm sorry, Vera-"

"Clover."

"What?" He furrowed his brows.

"You can't call me Vera anymore. That's a nickname reserved for friends." I added emphasis on friends, praying he got the hint.

He did.

"Right. Clover. I'm so sorry for hurting you. You deserve to know what really happened." See now I was interested. "Go on."

"She asked to meet me for brunch. She said we should get to know each other. I thought nothing of it at the time, considering I had no reason to be suspicious. When we were sat at a table, I mentioned that she looked nice that day. I think I complimented her hair or her shirt or something. But it wasn't at all in a flirtatious way."

"Yeah. She said that."

"What?" Mason was shocked. "Oh. I talked to Sophie about it already. She told me the whole thing, but it'll be nice to hear what she changed about it."

"Wait.. what? When did you see her?"

"The other day. She made me cry. Funny story actually." I chuckled solemnly, staring at the floor. "I'm sorry, Ve- Clover."

"Keep going."

"It had gone really well and we shared a lot of similar interests. I really hoped to be her friend since she seemed cool. We went on a walk afterwards and at one point she stopped in the middle of the path. I had asked her what was wrong and she replied by kissing me. I was taken aback and hated every second of it. I swear I had zero intention of pursuing anything romantic with her. She forced it on me."

"I'm sorry, Mason. I really am. That's terrible. God, she's terrible."

"I pushed her away from me and stormed off, despite her efforts to catch up with me. I just recall going home and crying. And then I saw the photo. I felt so terrible for you. I hated that I had done that to you."

"I hate that she did that to you. Mason, this is serious. She assaulted you."

"I know. Yeah, Vera, I know." Tears didn't even take time to well up in his eyes. They just spilled out onto his face.  "Mason." I said, standing up from my chair, him doing the same. I hugged him with no intention of letting go.

"You can report her. You should."

"Isn't it too late to do that? It happened a bit ago."

"Mason, it's never too late. But if you're not comfortable being public with it, you don't have to. I'll wait until you're ready."

He hugged me even tighter. "You're an incredible person, Clover Young." I smiled a bit. "I know." We laughed and pulled away. "Does this mean we're friends again? I really hope so." he asked. "We weren't before?" I giggled. He punched my arm lightly. "Let's go." I said. "Where?"

"Anywhere but here." As we walked away, he placed his arm around my shoulder and I leaned my head on his. It was nice this way. Some peace was restored in the world. But not all. I don't think anyone will forgive Sophie for what she did. Not now, not ever.

a/n
Omfg this is so sad pls someone help

ALSO WTF THE CHIEFS WON
R U KIDDING ME????