xxviii.

«You're so gorgeous, I can't say anything to your face, 'Cause look at your face, And I'm so furious, At you for making me feel this way, But, what can I say, You're gorgeous»

'Gorgeous'
Taylor Swift

irl

"Hey, Clover!" I shouted. She turned around, her hair landing in a perfect place. Gosh, was she gorgeous. "Yeah?" I caught up to her, slightly panting after running downhill.

"Can we talk?"

"Sure." She smiled that perfect smile.

We continued walking our bikes back down the trail. Everyone else chose to ride theirs since it was dark out now, but Clover wanted to walk and this time was too perfect. (Plus, I wasn't going to have her walking alone at night).

"So.. I know we only made up a few days ago, but since then I've been thinking.."

She exhaled loudly. "Oh God. Is this when you ask to get back together?"

Ah.. shit.

"Definitely... not.." I scratched the back of my neck and chuckled innocently. "Whatever. Keep talking." A smile appeared across my face. That's a good sign.

"I love being your friend but I miss how it used to be. I miss our long, heartfelt talks over the phone and the way you would get so nervous to see me and start being your awkward, adorable self. I miss doing each other's hair. I miss fighting over who would end the FaceTime first and then you'd come over to my house five minutes later. I miss being your shoulder to cry on and the person you trusted with everything. I miss us, Vera."

At this point we had stopped walking. She was staring off into space. Probably contemplating her whole decision to be my friend again.

"Mason-"

"I know.. I know. I get it if you don't want to be my girlfriend again and I'll respect that. I'd be fine with staying friends until you're comfortable again. Just, thi-"

"Mason!" she shouted. We looked at each other. "Do I have permission to kiss you?" she asked. I stared into her beautiful brown eyes. "Yes."

She swiftly connected our lips, placing her hands on my face. I had my hands firmly placed on her hips. I took in every second of the kiss, relishing in the feeling of butterflies in my stomach that I missed so dearly. We both smiled into the kiss before pulling away.

"I missed that, too." I said. Her face was flushed red and she stared awkwardly at the ground, twiddling with her fingers. "Yeah, me too." As she said that, the rest of the group turned the corner. "Guys! What are you doing?" Maddy shouted. Miguel whispered something to her and she made an 'O' shape with her mouth. "Never mind!" she added and they turned around to leave.

"Wait! We're coming!" Clover shouted at them, making them stop in their tracks. "Come on." She hopped back onto her bike and waited for me to do the same. We rode off beside each other and finally joined the others. "Love birds." Tristan mumbled. "Hey, at least they can pull." Becca said, making the group laugh.

"I thought only Vera could be mean to me." he pouted. "I only said that because she who shall not be named is a bitch and I'm only mean to you in a joking manner. She was being serious." Clover's whole mood changed at the mention of Sophie. "Got it.." Tristan replied.

It was silent for a bit until Maddy brought up the time we went to Halloween Horror Nights and Clover got the crap scared out of her. I'll admit I didn't like seeing her be scared but it was adorable how clingy she was.

At times, I rode behind Clover, Maddy, and Becca and I couldn't help but admire Clover's effortless beauty. The way her hair flows so perfectly in the wind, her cute side profile that I caught glimpses of when she would talk to her friends, and her contagious laugh.

She's just gorgeous.

a/n
Writing this chapter reminded me about how single I am and it hurts 😭😭

PREPARE FOR TOMORROW FRIENDS CAUSE THAT'S WHEN THIS ENDS 🫣🫣