Chapter 2

Aerea sat next to her grandsire as they watched her brothers and uncles practicing below in the training yard. Aegon never once looked at her, but didn't really maintain his focus anywhere. Cole called both Aegon and Aemond over just as a couple handmaidens walked by, practically running away when they looked at Aegon. Aerea noticed their shaken demeanor, but returned her attention to Viserys.

"Your mother tells me you wish to fight." Viserys spoke in High Valyrian as he took her hand.

"Yes, grandsire. Very much. I just started last night and managed to land every arrow right in the center!" Aerea smiled, finally looking down to Aemond who was just knocked down by Cole. She looked back at her grandfather, who had his eyes on her already.

"Has my son been doing a proper job at teaching you then?" He asked. Aerea bit her lip and folded her hands in her lap, bringing a belly laugh from her grandfather. "It's alright, my sweet girl. Aemond is a good lad. I know he'll be a good teacher to you."

"Grandfather? May I ask you something?" Her eyes went wide as she looked up at the older, decaying man. She was almost scared to ask him about Aegon's betrothal, but a part of her wanted to ask about the fleeing handmaiden she saw last night.

"What is it, child?" He smiled, but their attention was pulled from the sound of Aegon's screams.

"You!" Aegon screamed as he swung his sword repeatedly towards Jace, who looked like a scared child as he backed away from every swing.

"Use your feet!" Cole commanded. Aegon kicked Jace right to the ground and stared down at the smaller boy with venom foaming in his mouth. "Don't let him get up."

Aegon continued to swing at Jace on the ground while he scrambled away. Aerea had enough and rose from her seat, rushing to the ledge. "Stop it, Aegon!"

But Ser Harwin had just stepped in, separating the two finally. He threw Aegon to the side, rushing down to help Jace to his feet.

"You dare put your hands on me?!" Aegon screamed.

"Aegon!" Viserys called out. Aegon turned to his father, finally seeing the look on Aerea's face. The hurt and the confusion that painted her face was enough to bring him to his knees, but he just stormed off, throwing his sword to the side.

"Grandfather?" Aerea turned and Viserys nodded for her dismissal. She took off to find Aegon, but stopped in her tracks when she saw he had a handmaiden pinned against the wall in a darkened hall. "Let her go, Aegon!"

Aegon shook away from the handmaiden, who took off the second his hands were removed from her. Aerea looked at Aegon with more fear in her eyes when he began to approach her.

"What has gotten into you?! Why are you-?!" But he cut her off, kissing her roughly. She shoved him away the second she got a whiff of wine on his breath. "Stop it, Aegon!"

"Let's leave. Right now. We can fly away on Sunfyre and go get married and live in the country. We can eat, drink, and make a thousand babes without having to worry about our parents." He begged, but she stepped back from him.

"Aegon...why did a handmaiden run from your room last night?" She asked. His face darkened at the mention. How could he tell her what happened when she left last night? Would she understand the pain he felt the moment his mother took away their future together? When he didn't answer her, she stepped back even more, slowly realizing what he'd done based on how she found him with this handmaiden. His hand was up her dress while the other was wrapped around her throat. "How could you?!"

"Aerea, wait!" He reached for her, but she swung her fist to his face. The blow didn't do much damage to him, but it did take him by surprise. This wasn't her normal lady-like behavior.

"You will never touch me again, uncle. Never." She teared up before running away to her chambers. Once she was in her room, she threw herself onto her bed and sobbed violently into her pillow.

The Aegon she'd grown to love these past few years was gone. She didn't recognize the monster before her. The playful, witty boy she loved was gone. Now, he was a darkened, evil man. One she wanted nothing to do with.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Go away, Aegon!" She yelled, briefly lifting her face from the pillow before returning to her muffled cries.

The door opened and in walked Laenor, who rushed to his daughter's side when he saw the state she was in.

"What's happened, little one? Why're you crying?" He asked as he stroked the top of her head.

She lifted her head and roughly wiped her tears away. "I will choose my husband when I'm of age. But until then, I do not wish to hear another damn word on the matter, ok?"

Completely taken back by her rage, he couldn't help but laugh a little. "I suppose that's a fair deal. But only if you tell me what happened."

"Aegon...he hurts...I'm worried for Helaena now..." She trailed off, trying to figure out how to tell her father exactly what it was she saw. "I don't want him near me ever again."

"You have my word, sweet girl." He took her hand into his and kissed her forehead gently. "And we can start on my promise by packing."

"Packing? For what?" She furrowed her eyebrows.

"We're going to Dragonstone. All of us. That will be our new home." He sighed.

But part of her was relieved. She wouldn't have to worry about Aegon, but then she remembered she wouldn't see Aemond. Their lessons would be over. She was never going to learn to fight. "Can you teach me how to use a sword, father? If we leave, I won't be able to do my lessons anymore!"

"That's fine, my dear. Now get your things ready. We'll be leaving soon." He nodded, leaving her alone with her thoughts.