Chapter 27

Aemond sat in his sister's chambers as they watched her remaining child sit on the floor in front of them, mindlessly playing with his toys. He had hardly left her side since she lost her children. She was calmer now though, but mostly just numb to it all. She did her needlework in silence, glancing up down at her son every so often. He just sat there, cleaning his dagger, occasionally side eyeing Helaena to make sure she was alright.

Their eyes finally met and she gave him a soft smile. "Brother, could you grab some more thread from that dresser over there?"

He nodded and walked over to the dresser behind the room divider she motioned towards. He froze when he heard the doors open and the guards announce who they brought.

"Princess Aerea, my queen." The guard spoke as Aerea stepped forward with her hands folded in front of her and head hung. Helaena excused the guards as she stood to approach Aerea. The doors shut and Aerea's eyes slowly went to her aunt, but to her surprise Helaena's eyes were kind and gentle.

"Helaena, I'm so sorry." Aerea whispered and Helaena instantly took her into her arms as she let out a cry of relief. "I swear to you, my mother would never give such an order."

"Then who?" Helaena asked calmly.

Aerea sighed in frustration, pulling away from her aunt. "I fear my father may be behind such an act. Cruelty is not my mother's nature, but it certainly is in his."

"And yours, niece?" Helaena's voice was eerily soft. It almost made Aerea uncomfortable to see her aunt so calm after what she had gone through. She just stayed silent, unsure of how to answer. She would never harm a child, but she was cruel in other ways. She'd murdered her uncle in cold blood in front of the entire court and then laughed, but never would she harm a child. "I know that life has been particularly cruel to you and you seek revenge for your brother. Would you stop at nothing to avenge him?"

Aemond peaked through the cracks of the divider, seeing the tears running down Aerea's cheeks as she looked down at her feet.

"I wish I could say yes." Aerea admitted, feeling ashamed of her words. She hated Aemond for what he had done and wanted him to suffer beyond belief, but she couldn't bring herself to think about killing him. She knew that he still held part of her heart even after what he'd done to her.

"And why can't you, princess?" Helaena smiled, hoping Aemond was listening in. She'd watched her brother pine for her in secret for months. He'd never admitted it out loud, but she saw the way he looked at her. She remembered her husband telling her of their brother practically begging him to release her from dungeons and be treated as a person not a prisoner. She remembered the pained look on Aemond's face when Aegon would only agree if Aemond let her go finally. It broke him to agree, but he couldn't have her suffer anymore than she already had on his behalf.

Aemond leaned forward, inspecting every inch of Aerea's pained face. But before she could answer, his mother came waltzing through the doors with a cheery smile upon her face.

"Ah, Princess Aerea. I'm glad you're here. You will be dressed and ready to be in attendance tonight." Alicent forced a right smile, scanning the girl up and down with an internal scowl.

"Attendance for what?" Aerea asked.

"My son's wedding to Lady Cassandra Baratheon, of course." Alicent answered and Aerea's face fell instantly. Aemond's eye shut as he cursed his mother under his breath. "Now go. You must get ready at once."

The guards came back in, escorting Aerea from the room and back to her old chambers. The handmaidens helped her slip into a simple long sleeve, black gown that gently clung to her body. It had a thin belt with metal hoops along it wrapped around her wait, dangling in front of her. The ladies began to braid her hair, but she refused to wear her family's traditional braids. She felt undeserving as she thought about her conversation with Helaena.