Chapter 28

Aemond snuck through the halls in the middle of the night to Aerea's chambers days later, but was met by 2 unwilling guards but not by his brother's command.

"And whose order are you choosing to follow over my own?" Aemond scoffed.

"The princess has requested solitude, Prince Aemond...specifically from you." The guard said awkwardly, unsure of what to do after what he had heard coming from inside her chambers. Whispers spread amongst the red keep at the sudden disappearance of the princess from the feast.

"Well seeing as how she is not my brother, she does not give commands over me." Aemond pushed his way past the guards and looked around her chambers. There was only faint flames from the fire by her bed and he saw her, lying in her bed with the blankets pulled over her entire body. "Aerea?"

"Go away, Aemond." She sniffled from under the covers. He sat down beside her, trying to pull the blankets from over her until he saw a sword nudge out from under, aimlessly lunging out. "I said leave."

"Alright, that's it." He ripped the blankets from her and stood back just to be met with the end of Luke's sword pointed at his throat as Aerea stared up at him with bloodshot eyes. "Put it down, Aerea."

"No." Her voice cracked and she felt her arms wobble, trying to fight back the sobs she held in. "I am done suffering at the hands of you and your family."

He watched her trembling, but not with rage. This was something else. Her face twitched in pain the longer she held up the sword and he noticed her skin profusely dripping with sweat. Carefully, he grabbed the blade of the sword with both hands, taking her by surprise. But she didn't fight him as he lowered the sword and yanked it from her grasp. "Did something happen?"

"Did...did something happen?! Let me think. You murdered my brother, your brother kidnaps me and murders my husband's lover, your brother steals my mother's throne, and now-." She stopped herself when the tears finally broke free.

"Aerea, I-." He reached for her but she swatted his hand away. The sudden movement caused a sharp pain throughout her body and she clutched at her stomach with a groan.

"Save that for your wife." She mumbled, carefully grabbing the blankets but his hands grabbed hers, forcing her to freeze. She met his gaze and couldn't keep it together any longer with the way he looked at her like she was completely helpless. He took her into his arms as she sobbed violently.

"I'm so sorry." He whispered into her hair over and over, feeling his chest tighten up the harder she cried.

Outside her door, the guards could hear more cries coming from the princess and it made one of their necks twitch. He looked at the other guard beside him, completely unphased.

"Ah, Ser Arryk, Ser Ryland. How is the princess doing?" Aegon taunted as he strolled towards them, smiling at the faint sound of her cries he could hear from outside. "Has anyone been to visit her?"

"No, Your Grace. But she has been in and out of sleep." Ser Ryland spoke up, causing Ser Arryk to side glance the other guard.

"Excellent. Please give my best to the princess before she's back to sleep." Aegon laughed as he left them alone again.

"You need to send word to your brother, Ser Arryk." Ryland whispered.

"I plan to." Arryk nodded, wondering how he was to put into words what was happening to the princess. Arryk had made a promise with his brother, keeping a close eye on King's Landing for their Queen. He hadn't acted, but after the whispers of the handmaidens traveled his way, he knew he had to do something. It was dangerous sending his brother any ravens, but he had to take the risk at last.