Chapter 6

Aegon sat at the table for breakfast with his siblings and mother while his children played on the floor with the handmaidens. His cup was continuously filled every few minutes as he half listened to his mother go on about their agenda for the day. It wasn't until a familiar name was mentioned that he finally tuned in.

"Princess Aerea is the only one who has had any contact with Lord Corlys. We must ensure her mother doesn't use her daughter to ruin any of our plans." Alicent said. Both Aegon and Aemond's attention were completely fixated on their mother at the mention of their niece.

"Ah, Aerea! I haven't seen her in years." Helaena smiled, fondly remembering their childhoods together. "Will we be seeing her and her brothers before the trial, mother?"

"No. Once we're done here, we will head to the throne room for the trial." Alicent answered.

"Yesterday was already enough of her anyways." Aemond mumbled to himself, but everyone heard him. Even Aegon.

"You saw her? When? What'd she say? What does she look like?" Aegon leaned forward in his chair.

Aemond's eye glared towards his older brother. "She didn't say anything. As for how she looks, I don't know...I only saw the back of her head after she bumped into me."

Aegon laughed to himself at the thought of her irritating his brother. The rivalry between the two never faded, but Aegon hadn't really gotten the chance to taunt his brother these past few months. When he wasn't training or in the dragonpits, he was nowhere to be found. He knew with Aerea being back, Aemond would be around more and he would gladly mess with his little brother. "Now that's a sight worth seeing, I'd bet."

"Aegon!" Alicent scoffed as Aemond clenched his fists tightly under the table.

"The dragon draws blood from the sea, storming through flames of green and black." Helaena hummed mindlessly, distracting all of them just long enough to change the conversation. Alicent rose from her seat, looking at all of her children gloomily.

"Come. We must be on our way." Alicent said.

"Stop fidgeting so much. Just stand tall and remember: they can say whatever they like, but we all will protect you." Aerea smiled down at Luke before they entered the throne room.

"But what if..." Luke's eyes shifted to the passing lords and ladies. "What if I don't want it?"

"We can talk to Corlys about that. This isn't just about a title, brother." Aerea sighed, brushing his hair from his face. "This is about all of us. And gods be damned if anyone thinks they can harm anyone in this family."

He smiled up at his sister, but then his attention was stolen by the queen and their children coming down the hall. Aerea noticed her brother's tenseness and turned to his line of sight. Her eyes instantly went to Aemond, who looked ready to kill at any moment. Then she looked at Aegon, whose face completely lit up when they made eye contact.

Aegon's eyes scanned his niece for the first time in many years. Her pants clung tightly to her hips below the black corset that held the off shoulder loose, black tunic she wore. Her hair was pulled back into one long braid with two loose curls framing the sides of her face. He cocked his head when he saw the odd daggers strapped at her hips, but then he couldn't pull his focus from the curve of her hips.

Aemond scowled when he saw her comforting Luke as if the claims made against him weren't true. Even after all these years she still coddled and defended him. It disgusted him beyond belief. He hated the way her eyes softened for him, but glared at him. He hated the tightened clothing she wore, showing her figure off to the court like some kind of whore.