Chapter 31

Aerea fell asleep in Aemond's arms just as the sun was beginning to rise. He held her close as her head rested on his chest, drifting off to the sound of his heartbeat. His fingers toyed with a strand of her curls as he felt a weight lift from his shoulders. She'd not only forgiven him, but she returned his feelings as well. It still felt like an impossible dream to him, her wanting him. Part of him wished to never leave her chambers, fearing this moment would slip from him. While another part of him wished to scream from the skies the happiness he felt with her returned to his arms once more.

His whole life he thought of nothing but her. He remembered that fire he first saw that day in the training yards. She'd changed to him that day. When they grew up, she was just simply his niece. Aegon's potential bride. But that frustrated pout when Aegon refused to teach her how to fight struck something inside him. Something he craved every day since.

He'd gone to his father that day begging him to call off Aegon's engagement to her. Viserys was skeptical but seeing how flustered his younger son was over his granddaughter and how he spoke of the dragon within her, he knew he couldn't make her marry his eldest son. The king had planned to overrule his wife in the decision on who Aegon would marry, but changed his mind when he was met with Aemond's reason. Aegon would never appreciate Aerea the way Aemond would. Aegon saw her as a wife and nothing more. And when she refused Aemond years later, it broke Viserys' heart to think of his son rejected by the girl that had plagued his mind for years. It soothed his mind when the king passed on to know he had seen the two finally come together as one.

(Flashback nearly 7 years ago)

"Father?" Aemond sheepishly called out as he entered the king's chambers, finding the king carving his sculptures. The older man looked up from his chair and smiled up at the boy standing by the door with his hands fidgeting in front of him and head slightly ducked.

"Aemond, what is it, my boy?" Viserys smiled, waving him in. "Come. Sit."

Aemond joined the chair next to him, but his eyes remained on his hands in his lap. "Your Grace...does Princess Aerea have to marry Aegon?"

"Why do you ask?" Viserys continued his carving, occasionally looking up at his starstruck son. He noticed the boy unsure of what to say, struggling to carefully word his request. "In any case, your mother seems to have other plans for your brother. She wishes to marry him to your sister, Helaena, instead."

Aemond's face lit up completely at the open chance. "So Aerea would be free to marry then? Anyone?"

"I don't imagine her mother or father allowing just anyone, but potentially yes." The king laughed. "Are you planning to ask for my granddaughter's hand or did you have someone in mind?"

The boy's eyes went wide when he realized his father caught him. He placed his sculpture down onto the table and turned to his son with his full attention once he realized what exactly Aemond was asking. "Do you think her mother would allow us to...?"

"And why would you want to marry her, boy? You've never shown any interest until now."

"That was before..."

"Before what?"

The boy sighed. "Dragons do not belong in a cage...Aegon wants her to just be his dutiful wife he puts his heirs in...she's a dragon...she needs to fly."

"Am I to assume you'd be the one to give her wings then?"

I'd give her anything, he wanted to say. "I cannot give her what she already has."

"Aegon wouldn't be happy about this, you know."

"I don't care about him. I care about her." Aemond but the inside of his cheek when he'd realized what he said. He didn't mean to let it slip, but he was so frustrated at the thought of his brother trapping her. He took a deep breath and looked up at his father, who looked like he was trying to fight off a laugh of his own. "I taught her how to shoot an arrow today...I'd never seen her so happy and so..."