Chapter 7

Aerea sat at the corner of the table next to her father to her right and Leo to her left. The king was placed in his spot at the table and everyone had their attention on him except for Aemond. He had his eye fixated on Aerea the whole time. He left her room with a very hazy mind. All he could think about was her leg wrapped around him. He'd gone in there to scold her for their encounter in the yard, but the second he walked in and saw a glimpse of her naked, his mind was all over the place. The light just barely allowed him to see the faint shadows of bruising around her neck, bringing a hint of a smile to the corners of his mouth.

Alicent had everyone dip their heads in prayer, but Aerea and Daemon kept their eyes open as she led their prayer. "And to Vaemond Velaryon, may the gods give him rest."

Daemon quietly laughed while Aerea let out a snort, causing Aemond's eye to flicker open at her. She kept her head down, trying to stifle her laughter while Daemon grinned at her. Alicent ended her prayer and everyone looked up at the king, except for Aerea and Aemond. She furrowed her eyebrows at him and clenched her fists so tightly that the whites of her knuckles could be seen. Leo noticed her tense demeanor and laughed to himself as he placed his hand over hers.

Her focus was now on the man next to her and Aemond hated it. She looked so cozy and familiar with the strange man. Aemond felt like it was an insult to his family with her bringing him.

"Pay attention. You're being rude, princess." Leo winked. She laughed quietly and turned to pay her attention to Viserys, who had just removed his mask to reveal the rotting flesh he kept hidden. Her heart shattered at the decaying man before her. She was furious the night before when she saw the milk of the poppy, but now it made sense. He needed it just to not suffer every second of his remaining days.

After Viserys made his speech for his families to peace already, he slumped back down into his chair. Rhaenyra was quick to stand with her cup raised and began to toast to Alicent. Aerea's eyes went to her mother in confusion, but then she realized Rhaenyra was doing as her father asked. Making peace.

Alicent accepted her apology and stood with her own cup raised. "You will make a fine Queen."

Aerea saw the admiration between the two women and genuineness behind their apologies. It warmed her heart to see something other than hatred and disgust from the Queen and to also see her mother hear those words. Rhaenyra was always fearful of how the realm would respond when it was her turn to take the throne and worried she wouldn't be fit for the role. To hear that in sincerity from her estranged best friend meant the world.

"What...better way to mend our strife...than with a marriage." Viserys smiled as he saw the mending relationship between his wife and daughter. Daemon leaned forward and glared at his brother, knowing exactly where this was going.

"Brother, I don't think-." Daemon started, but Viserys waved him off.

"I propose my son, Aemond, to...to your daughter, Princess Aerea." Viserys smiled.

Aerea's eyes went wide. "Absolutely not!"

All eyes were on her at her outburst and she looked around at everyone trying to come up with anything to get out of this. Then her eyes landed on her "sworn protector".

"Forgive me, grandsire, but I am already betrothed." Aerea lied. Rhaenyra and Daemon shook their heads at the news.

"To whom?" Daemon narrowed his eyes. She pursed her lips at her father then smacked her hand on top of Leo's.

"Ser Leo Harrold, of course." Her voice cracked horribly at the lie as she desperately tried not to look at Leo, who was fuming beside her.

Aegon's jaw dropped as he saw her smile up at his father. He couldn't believe she was going to marry the man beside her. He wanted to whisk her away from the room and take her as his own.