Chapter 24 Winds Of Change

No one's POV

As the ZAFT forces gain complete control of Heaven's Base. But Lord Djibril's whereabouts is still unknown, surprising Nhazul and the others as they heard the news from Rey.

Shinn: What?! Djibril's no where to be found?!

Lunamaria: He's not there?! No way!

Rey: He seems to have secretly escaped moments before the base surrounded. He deserted all of the other Logos members.

Nhazul: Why am I not surprised.

Shinn: Cowardly piece of shit...he abandoned the others and ran to save his own skin!

Rey: So this isn't going to end easily after all.

Shinn proceeded to crush his drink furiously.

Shinn: That's not true! Next time I find him, I'll crush him my damn self! If he thinks he continue to stand in the Chairman's way, he's dead fucking wrong!

Hearing this, Nhazul looked at Shinn, once again thinking back to what Athrun had said to him.

(Flashback)

Athrun: Nhazul, please! You're smarter then this, I know you are! You said it yourself, there's no such thing as true peace! What the Chairman wants won't bring about peace, only bread more conflict! Don't fall for their words!

(Present)

Nhazul: ...

As Nhazul looked away with a conflicted look, Lunamaria had noticed, but didn't say anything.

(Timeskip)

Upon returning to Gibraltar for resupply, Durandal hands out medals of honor for Nhazul and the others for the contribution with the last mission. However, at that moment,  Durendal stepped forward and began to speak.

Durendal: I want to thank you all for your exceptional performance over the past few months, and especially in the last few operations. You have gone above the call of duty in fighting the battles that you have been in, and for that I am proud and thankful of your efforts.

Durendal then stepped back, and the base commander stepped forward again, awarding Shinn, Rey and Lunamaria with their medals, and now it was Nhazul's turn.

Base commander: In honor of his distinguished service in Operation Ragnarök, the Battle of Heaven's Base, as well as in other engagements thus far, we hereby award the Order of the Nebula to Nhazul Hatake.

Lunamaria and Shinn almost did a double take at this announcement, that Nhazul was to be presented with the single most prestigious decoration that could be given to a ZAFT soldier.

The Commander stepped forward, pinning the rather larger and more ornate medal to his lapel.

Base commander: Congratulations, young man.

Nhazul just looked at the medal for a few seconds, almost indifferent to it, but responded with a salute, as the entire room erupted in applause.

Nhazul: Thank you, sir.

Nhazul said formally as he shook the commander's hand, as Durendal spoke up.

Durendal: In addition, this is for Nhazul , as well as Shinn Asuka and Rey Za Burrel.

Confused, Shinn stepped up, along with Rey, as Durendal presented them with a small, square box, made of lacquered wood. Shinn opened his box first, and saw a small, silver-and-gold pin, shaped like a bird's outstretched wing. He gasped, unable to believe what he was seeing.