Tales Of Athera: The Anchor

The wind whistled through the rocks, a mournful song of dead kings and fallen peoples. It soars and hums and dips through cracks and quarries and caverns. It travels through impossible caves lined with plants and all kinds of life and through empty mines long abandoned by miners. It whistled through the wrecked remains of vehicles and pushes around long tattered and torn banners. It whistles through tent flaps and across empty barren wastelands of rock and stone. It whistles past a tent. Suddenly, a figure jumps out, bearing a spear. 

"Come back inside, Riiks. Nothing is out there."

"I thought a heard something, Kins. I am checking the perimeter." Riiks stood up, using the spear as a crutch, and looked over the barren wasteland. Dust was spun up by the winds, then settled again. Riiks scanned the horizon, eyeing the rocky ridge that jutted out of the stone. Underneath it, the rock was split, using dynamite. It was a large crack, designed to be so. Anyone who tried to jump it would fall, fall down under The Anchor, into the space below. On the topic of space, Riiks looked upwards, examining the sky above. As usual, it was decorated with the ruins of ships and asteroids. Even a few bodies floated in the celestial void, gone cold long ago. Riiks looked down, onto the empty land he and his mate had taken. As usual, it was barren. But if you looked close enough, you could see tiny sprouts of life that had taken root and begun to grow. Naturally, the only way to do this was for The Anchor to have had oxygen already, and it did. It was designed long ago by some forgotten people, found floating in space, abandoned. It held massive reservoirs of water and oxygen underneath the barren surface. Naturally, people flocked to this new frontier and fought over land, money, towns, anything. It was a new land. Riiks and Kins had settled here with their 2 children, but they had died in transit. It was a very isolating experience to live here, surrounded by empty spaces and no people. The closest outpost was miles away, only a light from here, and the only way to get through was through a warzone. Besides, they don't have a ship anymore, turned into a home and scrap metal. Riiks sighed.

"Kins. I cannot go to sleep now. I shall start the daily chores." Riiks sighed. The day had begun. In the distance, a lightning storm began to stir, thick clouds unleashing electric fury pointed fury into the dirt.