Stars of the Past

"Dream, did you know that not all rocks are the same kind of rock?"

"Of course! There's different colors and shapes!"

"But there's ones that form differently. With lines and being compact together!"

"Are you sure, Nightmare?"

"Yeah."

The roar of noise throughout the home of many humans and monsters alike is traumatizing in itself. But seeing two who used to be the best of friends fight to death itself... is much worse.

Fire crackles and buildings fall, and the sky is filled with the nothing that is everything. Tears in the world's fabric, opening up to the multiverse, ruining the reality of this place that you used to call home.

"Remember when I used to tell you about rocks and different stuff that was unusual in my eyes?"

"Yeah, your point?"

"I miss those days. Sometimes I feel like we're falling apart as brothers."

"...yeah. I feel like that sometimes too."

Screaming of people and the roaring of buildings toppling over accompanies conversation. Dream is trying his best to get his brother to understand. Maybe see what he wishes were still there. "Nightmare! Listen to me for once goddammit! You always ruin everything for me."

Nightmare stops in his tracks. "You ruin everything. There has to be a balance of happiness and sadness. You can't always save everybody, Dream. You know that."

"I know!" Dream is exhausted. It's hard for him to talk to his brother without wanting to cry. "All I want to do is talk to you, like you're my brother again."

"Why do we fight?"

"You know why."

"I suppose... but I really do miss those days."

"What days?"

"When you would talk about rocks and things like that. How chlorophyll works, how the stars and atoms work. I miss that."

"You remember that?"

"Of course I do. You're my brother, remember?"

"I can't beat you in battle, we both know that," Dream continues. "I just want to talk to you like we did before."

Nightmare breathes. He doesn't feel like Dream really misses that. How childish it would be to have fought all this time just because he wants to go back to the way things were. "What the fuck are you talking about, Dream?"

Dream sighs. "Just sit there and listen to me," Dream sits down, followed by Nightmare standing idly. "You know how there's pictures in the stars? People have always told us they tell stories. But really they're just like the sun! They light up other planets and give them light just like our sun does. Isn't that cool, Dream? They're made of a ton of different materials, not just lava! There's even some that are made up of diamonds. Each star evolves just a little bit differently. Our sun is an orange giant, but they can get a lot bigger than ours is. Aren't stars so interesting?"

"Yeah. I-

-love stars," Nightmare says. "They remind me of you," quoting what his brother said so long ago. It might be emotional for Nightmare, but that's not going to stop him from fighting. "You know I don't care about those conversations anymore. They don't mean anything to me."

"Boss, why are you awake? It's the middle of the night."

"It's nothing, Killer. I just had a bad dream. Go back to bed."

"Nah. Tell me 'bout it?"

"Ugh, fine. It's not like I'll tell anybody else. I just remember these conversations I've had with my brother. I miss them, those conversations are what kept me from snapping every day."

"I'm so tired."

"I thought you were basically immortal?"

"No. Not like that."

"Then what is it, Dream?"

"I miss my brother, Ink."

"I miss everything. I wish we could go back, I would save you from all of that. You didn't deserve any of that treatment."

"Like hell that'll ever happen," Nightmare walks forward. "You need to learn your place in this world. You didn't do anything to help until it was too late. And you knew it the entire time," No matter how much Nightmare wants to hug his brother, it'll never be the same. "And stealing something that matters to me is not what you should do."

Dream stood up. He had almost forgotten about Clover, they were very insignificant in Dream's brain. Maybe he's being selfish. "I'm sorry. I had no other choice, you wouldn't listen to me. I promise Clover is safe."

Nightmare can't hold it in anymore. He's angry, and Dream knows it. "I would like it if you would give them back. You ruined their home, and I don't appreciate that. I might forgive you for that if you just give them back right now."

"Killer? Killer!?!?" He hung up on you. That's just a little concerning. You hope that everything is okay. "Well I'll be damned. What do I do now?"

As if perfectly on queue, Ink barges into your room. "Hey!" He seems like he'd been running for a while. "You're needed back in your universe, it's time to go. Got everything?"

You nod, excited to see your skeletons again. You grab your bag and walk back out to Ink again. "Ready to go!"

Ink grabs your hand and the same gross blackness appears below you, and you get sucked down. It's not the best experience, but at least now you get to see your skeletons.

You appear on top of a building that is half crumbled. As you look around, you see so many familiar places burnt to a crisp. Is this really happening? Your face is like stone, you can't believe what you're seeing.

"Clover," Nightmare gets your attention. You turn around, tears in your eyes. "I'm sorry this had to happen... at least we could save you."

You walk over to Nightmare and hug him. "I'm sorry... All this is my fault. If I didn't love you guys and you didn't love me this wouldn't have happened."

Nightmare shushes you. "Don't worry, Clover. This happens to every world," He rubs your back soothingly, and turns to Dream. "Clover means this entire universe to me. If it'll cost this whole place to keep them safe, I'm willing to ruin this place."

Dream is tired. You can see it on his face. "I wish this didn't have to happen. I should've thought this through."

Nightmare laughs, sarcasm in his tone. "Yeah. You should've," You're happy your skeletons are okay. "Now if you don't mind us, we'll be on our way."

"Are you sure, Nightmare?"

"Yeah."