Chapter 3: "Secrets in mourning"

THAT SATURDAY — — —

Marlton Chapel - Charlotte's Funeral

11:30 AM

The DuPoints, Fielders, and Carter families (except Mitchell), as well as many local residents, had assembled despite the bad weather to witness Charlotte's touching farewell. Despite all of their questions and allegations, the attendees as a whole were respectful and encouraging. Everyone started to disperse after the quiet but moving service in preparation for their later reunion at DuPoint Manor for the funeral reception.

As Craig, Chelsea, and Cierra were being ushered to their limousine, the press began to swarm them. "Mr. DuPoint! Mr. DuPoint! A statement on this crazy situation? Maybe you could tell us where the hell Karen Carter is!" A reporter, waving their microphone in Craig's face, says. "No questions, please!" Craig answers. "Ms. DuPoint! Any comment on your mother being a community harlot and having an affair with your father-in-law?" Another reporter asks Chelsea. "You bitch!" Chelsea goes, before aggressively sucker punching the lady in the face!

The crowd gasps and screams, as they pick the lady up."Get in the car! Now!" Craig yells at Chelsea, as he snatches her into the limousine. "Oh my goodness." A shook Cierra chimes in and says, as she gets into the car. "Wait a minute..." She tells them, before hoping out of the car. "Hey, listen up!" She calls for the paparazzi and press. "What the hell is she doing?!" Chelsea asks Craig. "I have no idea." He responds. They both sit there looking at her through the window.

"Here's an official statement from The DuPoint family.
On behalf of the DuPoint family, we are deeply saddened by the loss of our loved one and are grateful for the outpouring of support during this difficult time. We ask for privacy while we grieve and process this tragedy. As our family navigates through this challenging experience, we will remain focused on healing and moving forward in all aspects of our lives. We kindly request that any speculations or rumors regarding a silly scandal or any other unnecessary details regarding the situation be avoided in order to show respect and honor for our family and my mother's memory. Thank you." Cierra tells them. Still eager for more, the crowd continues with their questions. "So that video of Karen Carter's murder confession slash tell-all is false?!" A reporter shouts out.

Cierra ignores the follow up questions and gets back into the vehicle. "Great job out there, Ci." Craig tells Cierra. She gives him a sweet smile. "Thanks." She then replies. "How you holding up?" Cierra continues to ask him. "I'm holding." He blandly responds. Cierra looks over to an emotional Chelsea, who is fighting back tears. "Hey, Chels! You okay?!" Cierra asks her, before going to sit next to her and consoling her.

"It's final... You know? Seeing them close that casket on her and then lowering her into the ground..." Chelsea mutters through her tears. "I know, I know, sis." Cierra says, as she rubs her shoulders. Both upset by it all, she and Craig share a sad look.

The Marlton Place