Chapter 5: "Drifting"

FOUR DAYS LATER/SATURDAY — — —

Stamford Hospital - Family Conference Room

11:03 AM

The Chief of Surgery at Stamford, Dr. Holt, is having a pleasant talk with Michelle and Mitchell Jr. at the hospital in the family conference room. After a brief pause, the three manage to suppress their fits of laughter. "But, yes. Your father is coming along well. He should be out and active again before you know it!" Dr. Holt tells them.

"That's amazing, Doc." Mitchell Jr. goes, ecstatically. "Yeah, I mean we cannot thank you all
enough-" Michelle gets cut off by Dr. Holt's incoming phone call. "Uh, one second." He says, before answering the phone. "What?! I'm on my way down there!" He shouts into the phone, as he becomes troubled. Slowly becoming a wreck, he struggles to grab his things.  "What's the matter, Dr. Holt?"Michelle asks him frantically. "Is something wrong?!" Confused, Mitchell Jr. chimes in and asks.

"You all must wait in the lobby. Your father just flatlined!" Dr. Holt laments, as he makes his way to the door. "What?! Are you fucking kidding me?!" Michelle goes ballistic. "You cannot be serious!" Mitchell Jr. goes off as well, as Dr. Holt quickly exits the room and shuts the door. At a loss for words, Mitchell Jr. turns around and looks to Michelle. "This can't be..." Michelle mutters, as she tries to fight back tears. Mitchell Jr. leans in and gives her a big hug, not knowing what to do...

Marlton Pâtisserie

11:30 AM

While having a delicious Caramel Crème and a Cuban sandwich outside at Marlton Pâtisserie, Chelsea notices Craig, dressed in his gym gear, going down the sidewalk. "Chelsea!" He goes, as he notices and approaches her. "Dad! Hi, what are you doing brisk walking downtown?" She asks him, as the two share a quick hug. "Well, I decided it's a pretty day today, so why not make the most of it. Am I right?" Craig continues jokingly.

"Amen to that!" Chelsea replies. A server comes out of the establishment and approaches the two. "Is everything okay, ma'am?" The server asks her. "Uh, yes! Everything was scrumptious." Chelsea replies generously. "Glad to hear that. And will he will be joining you?" The server continues to to ask, as he looks to Craig. "No, he will not-" Chelsea is cut of by Craig. "Uh, yes I will be. I'll take a chilled half & half iced tea and lemonade." Craig orders, while taking a seat at Chelsea's table.