Two

Back in front of her peers and instructor, Bella struggled to focus on the case study being presented. With her eyes transfixed on her three-carat, oval sapphire and diamond engagement ring, images of Xander's forlorn and shining eyes continued to flash in her mind along with his words, "we'll work it out." She had seen that expression on his face only once before—the day she walked out on him, and she promised herself years before that she would never be the reason for that look again. Now, that promise was broken. And now, one thing was painfully clear—he was feeling the same misgivings she was, or why else would he have made such a statement?

"With the signs and symptoms listed, and given the abnormal lab values, what are some possible diagnoses you would be considering right now?"

The voice only vaguely broke through her trance. It wasn't until she felt an elbow nudge her that she realized the question was directed at her. Clearing her throat and trying to appear collected, she prepared herself to answer. The sound of her own voice filled her ears as she responded only half-heartedly. "Acute appendicitis or ovarian cysts."

She hoped her response was correct. To her astonishment, everyone nodded, including her clinical instructor. When all eyes shifted away from her, she let out a sigh of relief.

As if fate was tormenting her and intentionally trying to keep her away from Xander, the rest of the day passed slowly. During a spare moment, she sent him a text message, wanting to assure herself that things were all right between them.

MsDarcy: Thank u for this afternoon, Sir. It was wonderful (minus my outburst).

XP: Wonderful? More like fucking awesome. We need more of that.

MsDarcy: I miss spending time with u. I'm going to slip out of here early. Can we plan a date night?

XP: As if you need to ask?

Knowing she wasn't going to take a backseat to Xander's work, Bella's anxiety subsided and was replaced with the warmth of anticipation deep in her belly.

XP: A song on the way to the office made me think of you. Capital Cities, Patience Gets Us Nowhere Fast. I'm getting sappy in my old age. :/

MsDarcy: I love your romantic side!

XP: Who said anything about romantic?

MsDarcy: Stop denying who and what you are :)

XP: I refuse to acknowledge that remark or answer that question on the grounds that it may incriminate me.

MsDarcy: You're not on trial and my statement stands. I love you. I'll see u at 8ish.

XP: I'll be eagerly waiting. And planning >:) Be prepared. I suggest you stretch before you arrive. ;)

Her excitement nearly bubbled over. Xander had a wicked and perverse imagination that she had learned to appreciate over the last three years. While the two years prior to that demonstrated his ingenuity when it came to love-making, once they were officially a couple, he really let his inhibitions go and used her body and bent her will to suit him in the most inconceivable and delightful ways. Memories flooded her brain of all the decadent ways he had taken her and tested her limits.

MsDarcy: Hint?

XP: Legs wide. Mouth full. Wrists tied. Your ass cheeks red under my palm for having made me wait so long. And that's just foreplay. I could go on and on.

Practically salivating and with her panties now thoroughly soaked, she slipped out of view from everyone and found a secluded spot to continue their non-verbal yet surreptitious conversation.