Four

A dazzling, white blur of sun momentarily blinded Bella as she arrived at school. The morning air was brisk, invigorating, and intoxicating, the sky cloudless from one horizon to another, yet a dark cloud of discontent hung over her.

This day would be spent in the lecture hall listening to her professors endlessly discuss anatomy and physiology, moral and ethical responsibilities, and new pharmaceutical breakthroughs. Seated amongst the other students, she dug out the list of available classes for the upcoming summer semester. She would have to submit her schedule soon, and there was to be no more procrastination. Wanting to gain a bit of headway in her education and possibly finish the program a tad bit earlier than planned, she picked several courses, including two night classes. Between clinical hours and class time, she would be busy. Very busy. The thought made her feel oddly depressed. Summertime for Xander would require an immense amount of traveling, and she dreaded the nights spent alone in their large bed. Only one more year, she reminded herself.

Shifting uncomfortably in her seat, her ass tingled and throbbed, reminding her of Xander's reprisal and the price she paid for doubting him. She focused on the professor's voice in an attempt to forget the look of disappointment on her lover's face when she acted so immaturely, but his words haunted her. "It's a very serious program, the likes of which I don't think you're prepared for."

She had been formally reprimanded for her outburst, yet that's exactly what he was doing to her. Didn't he have any faith in her abilities? She had always taken his rules and orders seriously, and long before she even knew anything about the domestic discipline lifestyle.

Shaking her head, she cleared her mind. Xander knew best and had the final say in all decisions. She had stated her feelings, albeit less than tactfully, and his authority had prevailed. Now it was time for her to let it go.

Halfway through the day, she reached for her phone to find several text messages from Xander.

XP: The bright blue sky reminds me of your eyes. Your performance last night was amazing. I can't stop thinking about you.

His words made her hungry for his touch, though she felt deserving of it. Thankfully, he didn't mention her other dramatic performance. But that was no surprise, seeing as it wasn't like him to bring up her past petulant deeds. Simply moving forward and letting bygones be bygones was his way of letting her know she was forgiven and all was right in their intimate little world.

XP: I added a song to your playlist. Sex by The 1975. Take a moment to listen.

The cloud of disappointment that had been hanging over her lifted, and she smiled as she cued the song. As nonchalantly as she could, she snuck in an earbud to listen to the music he had chosen for her.

It didn't take long for the song to take effect, and soon, she was overcome with love for Xander. He may have been a mature man nearing the forty-year age mark, but by his playfulness and romantic heart, one would never know. As she listened to the lyrics, she wondered what Xander was alluding to when the words "she's got a boyfriend anyway" played.

MsDarcy: Boyfriend? Who would that be?

XP: The other obligation in your life. School. I know you've been stressed lately, but this, too, will pass, Princess. I'm proud of everything you're doing. Keep your head up and stay focused on the end game.

God, she adored everything about him. Wanting to stoke the flame that he had ignited and to relive a special memory, she offered up a silly suggestion and hoped he would agree.

MsDarcy: Can we reenact my first day working for you, Sir?

XP: Oh, my Dear, Naughty Ms. Darcy, what a genius idea. Since AM won't work, I expect to see you tonight at my office at 9:00 PM.

Continental LifeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara