Fifteen

The start of week five at the DDTC had a different feel to it, but Bella couldn't put her finger on what it was. She knew the instructors were planning something big, although she had no idea what it could be.

She, too, had big plans of her own.

Dressed in a light-pink, tasteful Isabel Marant silk organza dress, she slipped on her black Zanotti cutout booties and called a cab to take her to her destination. She suspected the rendezvous she had planned would leave her emotionally wrecked, and she didn't want the hassle of trying to fight the San Francisco midday traffic.

The drive to the 4P Marketing firm building was excruciating. The ruffled hem of her dress became her focus as she fingered it endlessly while trying to convince herself that she would not resort to violence. Well, not unless provoked. After all, LB was in need of a good bitch slapping.

Her phone chirped, startling her.

XP: Shall I send lunch over to you? What are you in the mood for?

MsDarcy: I appreciate the offer, but I have an appointment in a few minutes and will be grabbing lunch afterward.

XP: You didn't mention an appointment before. Where at?

Bella didn't want to lie, but she also didn't want to divulge her plans. Staring at her phone, she tried to find a way to get out of divulging her plans. She rolled her eyes at herself and inevitably gave in. She had told Xander she hated secrets, and it would be hypocritical for her to keep this from him.

MsDarcy: 4P.

Her answer was short and to the point, and she knew Xander would know in an instant what her intentions were. Before he could make any objections, she powered her phone off.

Standing inside the building, Bella took in her surroundings. Though small, the structure was architecturally stunning with its modern façade, sharp lines, and hard angles. Bold, bright color blocks were placed in just the right places, drawing the eyes to the oblique windows that gave the inside a subtle futuristic look.

On a mission, she walked to a placard and sought out Leggy Blonde's name. Second, on the list of chief executives, she found what she was looking for. 

Bella's stomach suddenly rumbled. She hadn't eaten for fear of retching from her nervousness, but now she was feeling dizzy and wished she'd at least snacked on a banana or yogurt. As she walked to the elevator, she contemplated backing out. Xander was going to be seriously upset with her. There would be punishment to deal with, but it would be well worth it once she saw the look on Svetlana's face when she was told to back the fuck off or suffer the wrath. She would show that bitch once and for all that what she lacked in elegance, she made up for in fortitude and stick-to-itness.

With her courage fully restored, she tightened the bun on her head and smoothed her hair before inhaling deeply and blowing it out slowly. Moving her engagement ring back to its rightful place, she tucked her clutch under her arm and punched the elevator button. It was time to go big or go home, and home wasn't an option.

When she arrived at the appointment desk outside LB's suite, she gave the fake name she had called to make an appointment with and was promptly ushered into the office. Svetlana was facing a large window and gazing out while she spoke in a foreign language that sounded a lot like Russian or some variation of it.

Without directly acknowledging Bella, she waved her hand overhead to give her one minute. Bella rolled her eyes. How unprofessional.

She seated herself in the chair across from the large executive, glass-top desk and scanned the room and décor. It was just as bland and pretentious as Svetlana was.