Twelve

When Friday rolled around, Bella was glad. Her brain was filled with so much knowledge, and her heart with so much passion she feared she'd suffer from mental overload. Her rendezvous with Xander had given her the boost she needed, and it was obvious that he was more emotionally grounded after their time together as well.

Jule's spanking had been postponed until the last day of the week for unknown reasons. Dalberg was to deliver the first round of faux punishment, and Bella felt sympathy for her while at the same time feeling grateful that it wasn't her who'd be on the receiving end of Dalberg's reprimand.

When the time finally came, the dread and fear Jules expressed took everyone by surprise, and guilt crashed over Bella like a violent wave. She had no idea what Julianna had been through to cause such anxiety, but whatever it was, she wanted to take the pain away. She stepped forward and attempted to volunteer to take Jules' place, but before she could speak, she felt a firm grip on her elbow and Xander's whispered voice in her ear.

"No, Bella. Let Dalberg handle this."

Angry, she glared over her shoulder at him. This wasn't the man she knew. The Xander she knew would step up to protect someone in distress.

"Please, Xander, do something," she pleaded as she tried to free herself from his hold. "Help her," she harshly whispered to him.

When a tortured sob spilled out of Julianna, all everyone could do was watch in heartbreaking horror as she broke down physically and mentally. All of the students despaired at what they were witnessing, including Christopher, who began to cry. It was physically painful to see the beautiful, suffering Julianna shake uncontrollably as if she were a frightened child.

Who had hurt her and why wasn't Xander stepping in?

Unable to stop herself, Bella tried to step forward again, but Xander tugged her back by her upper arm.

When she struggled against him, he whispered into her ear, "Bella, no."

Dalberg took Jules into his arms and rocked her while trying to soothe her pain, but nothing seemed to pacify her. Only then did Xander free Bella to allow her to go to Jules. Like a pride of lions trying to protect their own, they all gathered around and wept with her. The details of her past were still unknown, but it made no difference. She was hurting, and that's all that mattered.

As Dalberg swept Jules up and carried her away, Bella wrapped her arms around herself and glared at Xander, fearful of what Dalberg might do to the vulnerable and hurting woman. Xander's normally stoic countenance was a thin veil over the hurt plainly visible on his face. Seeing the emotion on his face, shame swept over her for doubting him.

Hutchens took over, but it was clear to see he was deeply affected as well.

"These sorts of things happen, unfortunately," he explained in a hushed voice. "Ms. Breslin is a strong individual for having come this far, but she needs more time and counseling to move forward, and I promise each of you, she'll receive it."

Clutching her chest, Clarissa spoke up. "Will she be back?"

"We hope so, but the decision is ultimately hers," Hutchens answered.

"Please tell her we're here for her," Christopher choked out, causing Lauren to break down again.

"I will," Hutchens assured everyone as he squeezed Christopher's shoulder.

An hour passed before everyone finally regained their composure. With all of the students gathered back in the classroom, they spoke about how they were feeling with Hutchens. As the class lingered past dismissal time, Bella packed up her bag and stepped out to see Dalberg embracing Jules. Hidden in the shadows and just out of sight, she listened in on their private conversation.