Three

Curled in Xander's embrace, Bella slept soundly for only a few hours. When she woke, her body ached in a way it hadn't in months. Her mind was still trying to formulate exactly what had transpired as she lay watching his eyelids flicker with untold dreams. She regretted having confessed her doubt in him but not because of his reprisal. The regret came from seeing the disappointment in his eyes just before she felt his strong hand against her bottom. Nothing would ever break her heart more than to see that look on his face.

As she peeled herself away from him, she whispered in his ear. "May I leave the bed, Sir?"

His eyes opened only briefly before he mumbled and nodded his consent.

Dressed in Xander-approved loungewear, she gathered her book bag and schedule and settled into his office. Her own designated work area was in a small alcove in the large living area. Xander had designed it himself and placed it in a spot so that he could keep his watchful eye on her while he roamed about the penthouse. The space had everything she needed, but she preferred to be in his office and seated in the large leather chair that was reserved for him. The leather seat was perfectly formed to his physique, and his scent lingered in the large room, making her feel as if he was all around her, lording over her like the good old days when she had worked for him.

When she set her bag down, she noticed a stack of files on the desktop with various women's names. Sneaking a peek, she opened one to see a picture of a pretty but average-looking brunette paper clipped to a stack of documents. Perusing the contents, she realized the files were Xander's students. The in-depth profile of the woman left no stone unturned, delving into her childhood and past relationships.

Feeling guilty for snooping, she set it aside as she continued to stare at it, wondering what made the people in the files seek out the program. If only she could sit in on one of the courses or 'practicum' sessions. She flipped the file open again, her eyes zooming in on the picture of the female. Is that the kind of woman Xander was drawn to? What was it about The Center that made him unable to leave it all behind?

Come to think of it, why hadn't he ever asked her to enroll in the program if that's what he was looking for in a spouse?

Their work contract came to mind. In a sense, she was the woman in that file. Though she hadn't sought out that sort of instruction on her own, Xander had, nonetheless, educated her on what he wanted in a lover and companion. As she recalled, she had eagerly and willingly accepted his tutelage. Still ...

Just then, he appeared in the doorway of his office wearing only silk sleeping pants, rubbing his eyes and yawning loudly.

"What's keeping you up?"

She shrugged, still pondering all that her future husband's side job entailed. If only she could see him in action.

He stepped behind her, his large, warm hands massaging her shoulders as he leaned down and kissed the nape of her neck.

"Find anything interesting in here?" He asked as he reached over and tapped the open file.

"It's all interesting."

"Indeed," he intoned, spinning her chair around to face him.

The question slipped past her lips before she could stop it. "Do you find her attractive?"

His brows knitted together, and his eyes scanned her face warily.

"It's not a trick question, Mr. Pettifor," she sniped when she saw what she perceived to be guilt on his face.

"Mr. Pettifor?" He fingered her chin, tipping her head back. "So that's how it is?"

Again, she lifted her shoulders in a shrug and turned the chair around to avoid his stern look.