Prologue

Warning: This novel contains content that will be disturbing to some readers. Viewer discretion is advised.

Enjoy.

In the age before time, before reality truly unfolded, there existed five wise men. Rulers by nature, they led their people through thick and thin toward prosperity. As time passed, their power grew - until one day, the wise men became known as something far above all else. They became known as Aethereals - wise deities who led all to peace and joy as their power continued to grow. Yet, as it grew; So too did their self-interest - their ego - and ultimately, their cruelty. They had focused for so long on what they could do for others, but if they were above all; Then should others not serve them? As their cruelty rose, they became feared. They were omnipotent - indestructible - infallible. In a last effort to stop them, ancient heroes sealed them away in a new reality, and - in the process - created the world. Now it is said that whoever can open the gate between the world and their reality will receive whatever they desire. For the wise men known as Aethereals - all-powerful as they are - will do anything for those who free them from their eternal prison. Only one must choose wisely, for the wise men are destroyers. And should he or she who frees them choose their wish poorly, then the world shall be swallowed by darkness forevermore...

In the capital of Arvan, flames raged on as warriors of all kinds stormed through the streets. The homes, once humble abodes of wood and stone, were unrecognizable in the smoke and ashes. A path ridden with sand led up to a great stone castle, crumbling away after the warriors' assault. The moon was scarcely visible through the dark plumes rising above the city. Just outside the castle, a large force of the warriors was gathered. They were lined up formally behind a singular figure. He bore dark robes, with a feathered collar and gold trimming. He had lighter skin, pale as the snow with shoulder-length gray hair and a matching long beard. He had a black iris in his left eye, while his right was something else entirely. It glowed in a strange manner, churning into different colors, never staying as one. He stepped forth, using a long wooden walking stick to do so. There was a ring of warriors around him, with five in the middle. The ring, as well as the five warriors, were all holding prisoners. The ring kept royal knights hostage, while the five in the center held the royal family. Or...they did. Three of them were dead. The remaining two were the King and his daughter.

The King had graying hair, with clear age on his face. He had darker skin, with dark eyes. He was wearing ragged clothing, as his armor had been removed. His crown had long since been lost, along with his pride. His daughter had darker skin as well, albeit paler than his. She had amber eyes and platinum blond hair. She wore a dark brown garment that covered her chest, wrapping around thinly on her back. She wore an olive green skirt, just above knee height. With this, she wore dark sandals. Like her father, her armor had been removed. The Man with the Glowing Eye stepped forward, holding the tip of his walking stick against the King's neck. "You are running out of loved ones, Gabriella. And I am running out of patience." He said. His voice was deep and aged, with a rather difficult tone to read. It sounded gentle and caring, yet there was a fierceness to his words - as if he would do anything to get what he desired. Perhaps that was right on the mark.

The King spoke next, his voice deep and proud. "I may be left with nothing...but at least I can die knowing I didn't join you on your Twilight crusade. You people...you preach about peace? Love? What love is there in this situation? Burning our homes? Killing my people? My family?! You deserve the worst of fates!" He exclaimed. The Man with the Glowing Eye smashed the tip of his walking stick into the King's chest, sending searing pain through his body. "Did I ask for you to speak? This conversation is between me and your daughter." He responded. The King looked at his daughter, Gabriella. "Whatever you do...don't tell him anything. I would rather die...than have him discover its location. It cannot be contained. We have to keep it hidden..." He said. The Man with the Glowing Eye sighed, also looking at Gabriella. "Well, he seems very insistent. Shall I do as he asks? Or are you going to tell me where the artifact is?" He asked. Gabriella spoke up, her voice hardly a whimper. "I...I won't...tell you...anything..." She answered. The Man with the Glowing Eye nodded. "I suspected as much." He said. In the blink of an eye, he thrust his walking stick into the King's throat. A glowing magical blade burst out of the tip, slicing his head right off! His body fell to the ground lifelessly, causing Gabriella to cry out in terror!