Chapter 21: Taken

Lucille was running through a field of crops and vegetation. It was a field all too familiar to her. She spent every night there, collared and forced to work every day. It didn't matter that she was small and weak, or that she was a child. Nekos, regardless of their origin, were rarely free creatures. And because they were publicly treated as - and considered to be - pets, they were kept more widely than slaves. Many people disapproved of keeping them in collars, yet cruel men and women did so regardless. On this particular night...everything changed. She was seven then and had not yet developed her Leonine transformation. She was running through the field not for fun, but out of fear. Collared people of various races were screaming in terror as they ran for their lives. The unthinkable was happening. An event so rare - and of such danger - that almost none had ever seen it and lived to tell the tale. A Dragon was attacking the field. Dragons almost never attacked anything unless they were provoked, but this Dragon was different. It was going on a rampage, destroying the buildings with unclear intent. As Lucille ran for her life, she found herself tripping over a rock. There was a drop just ahead, one that led into a forest area. The forest was just far enough that the flames wouldn't reach it...or so the collared pets hoped. She rolled over onto her back, looking through the field toward a large farmhouse. The Dragon landed atop it, red embers bellowing from its mouth at every breath it took. Slowly, it reared its head back. With a horrid roar, it spewed crimson flames upward into the night sky. A symbol of power - a symbol belonging to one of the most powerful creatures in the land. 

The flames dimly lit its silhouette against the night sky, revealing crimson scales that faded to black near the tips. Paralyzed by fear, Lucille was entirely unmoving. After a few moments, the Dragon stopped spewing flames. It tilted its head down, looking over the field. Its gaze landed on Lucille, sending shivers down her spine. There was a psychotic look behind its glowing red eyes. It was enjoying its rampage. It was enjoying the destruction it was causing. With one last roar, the Dragon dove off the farmhouse and into the night sky. Seeing the fire approaching, Lucille forced herself to her feet. She ran for the drop, and without hesitation, jumped right down into the forest! She found herself rolling down a steep hill...before everything went black. She awoke in the morning, cold and alone. The forest wasn't all that dangerous on its own, though there was no one to help her. Completely abandoned by the other pets, and still collared, she began walking through the forest. She walked for hours until eventually, she reached a town. It was a humble town, with wooden buildings that boasted thatch roofs. There was a stone wall around it, guarded by knights. As she passed through the gate, the knights eyed her suspiciously. She was dirty and wearing a raggedy dress. They would have thought her a vagrant if it weren't for her collar. Everyone knew what the collar signified. She was someone's pet. And the only people who kept others as pets were rich, powerful, and dangerous. No one wanted to get involved. So she simply walked into the town, eyed by everyone as she passed by them. Eventually, she stopped dead in her tracks. 

Everyone was looking at her, but she hardly noticed their gazes. She was walking on sand completely barefoot. It was harsh against her skin, yet she scarcely felt it. All she felt was hunger. She was hardly fed as a pet. She hadn't eaten anything at all in three days. She had reached her limit and was ready to collapse. Her sight grew blurry as she stared at the floor. Everything had been tuned out...until... "Look, Daddy! A cat!" A Little Girl came rushing over, staring at her excitedly. She obviously didn't understand the meaning of Lucille's collar, or she simply didn't care. Noticing that the Little Girl was right in front of her, Lucille lifted her eyes to look at her. The Little Girl had a brilliant smile...and a tiara. Not just any tiara, but that of royalty. Whispers filled the air between nearby onlookers. Lucille's heightened hearing allowed her to make sense of their murmurs. "That's Princess Gabriella..." A Man whispered, "Is that her pet...?" Another asked. Gabriella didn't seem to notice their whispers. She just kept looking at Lucille with excitement. "What's your name?" She asked. Lucille struggled to get any words out, though she managed nonetheless. "L...Lucille..." She answered. Gabriella's eyes lit up at her answer. "I'll call you Lucy!" She exclaimed. Lucille was confused. She didn't even know where she was, nor why this little girl was so excited to see her. A few moments later, a tall man approached, bearing a crown and noble clothing. There was little doubt about it. He was her father, the King. "Gabriella." He said, getting her attention.