Chapter 39: The Twilight Invasion

The night after Moona threatened Celestia, it was nearly time for the twenty-four hours to be up. They had little doubt Moona would throw an immediate assault, as she was dead set on finding the artifact in Celestia, wherever it was. But that was the grand question; Where was the artifact? No one had made any progress in locating it, or so it seemed. Moona may not have told them everything, but it seemed she was no closer than they were. Were they chasing an item that would never be found? Were they going to fight over nothing? Shortly before the twenty-four hours were up, Albedo was walking down a hall within the keep. Asami was beside her, as they were discussing what was to come. "Are you ready for whatever's going to happen?" Asami asked, "I don't know, if I'm being honest. I...I don't know what to do against Moona. I really don't want to seal her away...but if she won't listen to reason...then I may have no choice..." Albedo answered, "Whatever you do, it will be the right choice. I know it will be." Asami said. Albedo nodded with a nervous laugh. Deciding she didn't want to talk about this subject, she swiftly changed it. "So...how's all that Maverick Redmane stuff going?" She asked, "Chichi and I have been looking into it more, but there really is very little information on it. Even in the restricted section. It's like they didn't want anyone to know about them." Asami answered, "Huh, that's weird...and you haven't found anything about the items, either?" Albedo asked. Asami shook her head. "I haven't. I've kept them on me as I said. But...I haven't found anything about them or seen them do anything special." She answered. As she suggested, she had a black bag with the items inside attached to her waist. It was zipped up so they couldn't fall out or be seen. 

"Huh...maybe they're just trinkets." Albedo said, "I don't know...I feel like they have to have some value, you know?" Asami asked, "Maybe, but what could it be?" Albedo asked in response. At that moment, a familiar sight appeared just down the hall. Maverick Redmane turned around the corner, looking directly at them. "I think we might find out shortly..." Asami said, "Are you seeing him again?" Albedo asked, looking around. Asami nodded. "Come on. Let's follow him! Maybe we can figure this whole thing out after all!" She exclaimed. She grabbed Albedo's hand, rushing her over to Redmane. Like the previous three times, he began leading them through the Keep's halls. Only this time, the destination was a bit odd. He led them to the throne room. "The throne room...? This place hasn't been used since the Dragon Emperor departed from Celestia..." Albedo said, "Is the final mural here, for some reason?" Asami asked. It seemed that was the case, as Redmane led them around the thrones. Right behind the Dragon Emperor's central throne, he waved his arm out. As he did so, the floor began to change. It opened up, revealing a set of stairs leading downward! "Woah...he just opened it up for us this time. We didn't even need to do anything..." Asami said, "Huh...so he can influence what's going on around us?" Albedo asked, "I guess so? Or maybe he was only able to open this path." Asami answered, "I guess we'll see..." Albedo said. Redmane faded away from Asami's sight, completely disappearing. They were on their own now. "Well...shall we...?" Asami asked. Albedo nodded. "Let's do this." She answered. With that, they began descending the stairs. 

Meanwhile, on the Binding Star, Moona was standing outside of her cabin. She was staring out over the city. Sammy approached from behind, cautiously standing by her side. "Celestia has a barrier of some kind around the city. We can't portal our way inside. We'll have to face their forces head-on..." She said, "Where is Raime?" Moona asked, "I...don't know. He's nowhere to be found." Sammy answered, "Then I'll do this myself." Moona said, "What do you mean...?" Sammy asked, "You said we'll need to face their forces head-on, yes? Then I'll be the one to do it." Moona answered, "Moona..." Sammy said. She felt something...strange. Something she had never felt prior to any of their invasions. This time around, it was different. "Moona...are you...sure you want this...? The Celestials are our friends...at least...they were. Do you really want to destroy them? You know...we could...get away from here. You're the Queen now, the one true ruler above all. The Covenant is no longer democratic. You have the power to disband it...if you wanted. The five of us could get away from here...live happily somewhere...telling stories and playing silly card games...just like when we were kids..." She said. Moona opened a portal, turning her back to Sammy. "When I bring peace to this world, we will have all the time we want." She coldly said. She walked through the portal, closing it behind her. She ended up by the eastern gate, approaching from the trees in the distance. There was a massive force of soldiers at the gate, strong enough to hold back a small army with ease. As she approached from the trees, speedwalking toward them, they couldn't help but be confused. "One person?! The Covenant sent one person?!" One of the Soldiers asked, "Who is that? I-Is that Moona?!" Another asked.