A Promise

Firefighters found May buried under a collapsed exhibit and wasted no time rushing her and her nephew to the hospital. When they got there they were swarmed by a team of doctors and nurses who quickly pushed past Peter and took May to another room, leaving the teen alone in the emergency room to stress.

After what felt like an eternity, a doctor came out and approached Peter with a serious look on his face.

"Come with me, Mr. Parker."

As they walked down the sterile hallways, the doctor explained the situation. Peter was struggling to stay focused the longer the doctor talked, but he caught a few phrases, such as "punctured lung", "internal bleeding", and "3rd degree burns all over her body". Finally they stopped outside of May's room.

"I'm afraid you're going to have to say your goodbyes, Mr. Parker," the doctor said, cutting right to the chase, "All we can do now is try to make sure she's not in any pain. She has hours, maybe, left to live. I'm sorry."

A nurse emerged from a hospital room further down the hall and called for the doctor's attention, and Peter was left standing, shocked, in the hallway. After a few moments of stunned silence, Peter steeled himself, opened the door, and stepped into the room.

May cracked her eyes open and smiled softly as he made his way towards her. What little of her skin he could see was badly blistered.

"Is that you, Peter?" she rasped, and that was all it took before Peter's composure went out the window.

"May," he croaked, sitting in the chair and gently placing his hand on top of hers, "I'm so sorry."

"What on earth," May wheezed, a wet cough interrupting her briefly, "do you have to be sorry for?"

"This," Peter said, vaguely waving his hand at her, "your injuries, I couldn't help you!" Peter put his face in his hands. "And now I'm going to lose the only family I have left!"

May pulled weakly at his arm, and he lifted his head to meet her gaze, surprised to see that she almost looked... angry.

"Don't you dare," she gasped, "blame yourself for this. Don't do it, you hear me? Those explosions were not your fault. The stampede was not your fault. You did everything you possibly could in that situation, and that's enough, alright?"

Peter began to shake his head violently. "No, May, you don't understand, I--"

"Don't understand what, Peter? What could you have possibly done to change what happened at the Expo?"

"I could have done so much more," Peter whispered. May lapsed into another coughing fit.

"And what on earth," she finally rasped, "makes you think that?" Peter hesitated. Would May hate him if he told her his secret? No, it would definitely be worse knowing he'd kept the truth from her.

"I'm..." Peter choked, "I'm Spider-Man." May's eyes widened in shock, and she drew back her hand slightly. Peter went on, "Now do you get it? I'm supposed to save people, and I was too worried about exposing my identity to get you out of danger faster. I should have sensed it sooner, I should have come back for you, I should have--"

"Peter. Benjamin. Parker." May was now gripping his arm as tight as she could, and her fiery gaze burned into his conscience. "I don't care if you are part lizard or if a radioactive tornado gave you wind powers. You are still my Peter. What's done is done, and you did what you thought was right in a situation that demanded too much into too little time." She paused, ensuring that Peter was paying close attention.

"I'm proud of you, Peter. You have helped so many people. I'm proud to call you my nephew." Tears were streaming down both faces now as May squeezed Peter's hand reassuringly.

"Promise me you won't lose hope. Family isn't just blood relations. Family is anyone and everyone who cares about you, and is there for you in times of need. Keep fighting. For me, Peter."

Peter nodded. "I promise," he said as he choked back a sob, and for a while they just sat in companionable, tearful silence. After about an hour, May was clearly getting tired, and her breathing was steadily getting more labored.

"Are you in any pain?" he finally asked.

"No," she breathed, "no, I think I just need to rest."

"Okay. Get some rest." Peter could feel more tears bubbling up. "I love you, May. Thank you for everything."

May smiled. "I love you too, Peter. So much." Then she laid back on her pillow, asleep.

Half an hour later, the heart monitor flatlined, and Peter Parker was left to face the world alone.