Paranoia

Not long after Morgan was adopted, the school year started back up again and she and Peter were plunged into the world of classes and homework once more.

They were not quite three weeks into the semester, but Peter was struggling to keep on top of his schoolwork. His patrolling schedule hadn't changed, so it wasn't like he was prioritizing Spider-Man over school, but after two days of classes his spider-sense had started constantly ringing softly in the back of his mind. It almost never stopped, even though Peter couldn't see anything dangerous. The only times it didn't bother him was when he was in the Tower or when he was out on patrol.

The persistence of his sixth sense meant he had trouble paying attention in class, which normally wasn't a problem for him. But the more classes he had to teach himself in the evenings when he was in the Tower without his spider-sense going off, the more drastic the pile-up became. He didn't mention it to anyone, telling himself it was just stress and a poor sleep schedule causing his sense to spaz out, but it didn't change the fact that his nerves were starting to get the best of him. It got to the point where he forced himself to put on a smile every morning as he and Morgan ran out the door to get to school, even though he was dreading leaving the Tower.

Happy ensured they showed up to school on time every single day. His rock-solid routine meant he was always waiting impatiently in the garage for them in the mornings, and drove them home when they needed.

But today, Peter and Morgan were the ones waiting impatiently inside the garage. Morgan was scuffing the toe of her shoe on the ground in boredom as they stood awkwardly together beside the black car Happy preferred.

"Hey Friday, where's Happy?" Peter finally asked, checking his watch. It was very unlike Happy to be late, and if he took much longer they probably wouldn't make it to school in time.

"It appears that Mr. Hogan has caught the flu, and is unable to be the chauffeur today."

"Great," Morgan said, "now what?"

"Well, the school isn't that far away," Peter said. "I guess we'll just have to walk."

"Dad told us not to walk to school."

Peter hesitated. He hated disobeying Tony, but he also knew that the last thing his dad needed today was a call from the school that both of his kids hadn't shown up. Knowing the billionaire, such a call would instantly cause a huge amount of stress, especially since he and Pepper were in another continent on a business trip right now. "We'll be fine. Besides, anyone who tries any funny business would be no match for your sass."

Morgan scoffed. "Yeah, right."

"Just pull your hood up so that people can't see your face," Peter said, already flipping his hood over his brown curls. Morgan sighed, clearly still not quite sold on the idea.

"Fine," she finally huffed, "but tomorrow you're buying me a sandwich from that place you're always going on about to make up for it."

Peter grinned as they made their way to the busy city streets. "Deal."

The two Starks walked at a quick pace, both to hopefully give people less of a chance of recognizing them as well as to try and make it to school on time, though the latter was looking less and less likely.

"How much farther is it exactly?" Morgan asked as they jaywalked across another road.

"We're only like two blocks away," Peter promised. He opened his mouth to tease her, but in an instant his expression became serious as his spider-sense started acting up. Morgan wasn't looking at him, so she didn't notice as he stepped closer to her protectively, engaging his web shooters and scanning the city around them nervously.