Still Hope

They'd been instructed to dump the girl somewhere far from the base, and then go into hiding. Agent Callahan didn't understand why they didn't just kill the girl and dispose of the body, but he knew better than to question his superiors.

"Think this is good?" Agent Jennings asked, pulling over to the side of the road underneath an old bridge at the edge of the city.

Callahan nodded and climbed out of the vehicle, opening the van door and pulling the girl out. He dragged her underneath the bridge and laid her on the dirty sidewalk before pulling out his knife and slicing through the metallic band around her arm. A drop of blood trailed down her skin as he accidentally nicked it, but she didn't stir. Callahan sheathed his knife and ran back to the van, jumping into the passenger seat and closing the door as Jennings revved the engines. The tires squealed and the van drove away, leaving Morgan Stark alone in the city.

~~~

Tony had knocked something off his desk, and was on his hands and knees searching for it when Friday told him, "Boss, Morgan Stark's tracker is back online."

"What!" Tony said, sitting up so fast that he smacked his head on the desk. "OW!"

Rubbing the back of his head, Tony pulled up the holodisplay and stared in disbelief. Sure enough, a red dot labeled Morgan Stark had appeared on the map. It looked like she was in the industrial sector.

"Friday, tell Steve and Nat to suit up! Now!"

"They've already been notified and are on their way, boss," the AI promised as Tony activated his own suit. He was about to go storming out of the lab when suddenly another dot pinged on the screen. It was on the other side of the city as Morgan's, and labeled Peter Stark.

Just then, Steve and Nat came running in. "You found them?" Cap asked, his voice heavy with hope.

Tony pointed at the screen. "We need to split up. You go get Morgan, I'll find Peter."

The two heroes nodded, serious looks on their faces as they turned and ran for the Quinjet. Tony followed them up to the helipad and jumped off the edge, pushing his suit as fast as it could go as Friday guided him to the tracker's location. 

After several long, tense minutes of silence, Friday spoke up. "He's coming up below you, sir."

Tony slowed down and dropped to the ground, landing hard on the cement before running forward. "Where? Where is he?" He moved forward into the alleyway he'd landed in front of, retracting his faceplate so he could see with his own eyes.

"The tracker signal is coming from five feet directly in front of you."

Tony's brow furrowed in confusion. "Well, I can see five feet in front of me, and Peter's not here." He took a few more steps, and then he noticed it.

The tracker was sitting on the dirty cement. Tony fell to one knee and picked it up carefully, blinking back tears when he saw the blood on the tiny device. 

"No," he breathed, "no, this can't be right! Friday, scan for lifeforms!"

"You are currently the only one here, boss," the AI informed him. Tony couldn't help it. He shouted in frustration and slammed a fist into the ground, cracking the pavement. His mask reformed around his head, and as if on cue Steve's voice came from the comms.