A Lasting Impression

Loki had expected this reaction, but it didn't make him any less annoyed that everyone in the room was currently holding a grudge against him.

Apparently, he and Thor had arrived right after a battle of sorts, but no one would say who had attacked or why. So he was forced to stand with unanswered questions in the corner of the room, watching as the chaos unfolded.

"So you're telling me that the same guy behind the New York attack is coming back for more?" Rhodey asked, folding his arms across his chest.

Thor ran a hand through his hair in an aggravated manner. "Yes. I don't know when he will get here, but my guess is he will come the moment he realizes the Tesseract is not in the wreckage of what used to be Asgard."

"If it's not there, where is it?" Fury asked.

Loki smirked. Finally. "Right here," he said, pulling it from inside his long jacket.

Within seconds, half a dozen weapons were pointed at his face. "Put it down right now," Clint demanded, his face stony.

"No, I think not," Loki said. "It's safer with me than it is with you."

"As much as I hate to admit," Fury interrupted with a sigh, "Loki may be right. It would not be wise to have an infinity whatsit in New York where people can get hurt should Thanos come for it."

"But... Loki is in New York," Sam deadpanned.

"They have that rainbow laser portal that can take them anywhere in a matter of seconds," Fury said, "I'm not worried about the Tesseract staying in New York as long as it's with an Asgardian."

"In that case, it should stay with Thor," Tony argued.

"No," Thor interjected, "Thanos is coming to New York whether the Tesseract is here or not. You will need my help. It stays with Loki."

"How do you know?" Natasha asked, her gun still pointed unwaveringly at Loki. "How do you know Thanos is coming to New York if it's not for the Tesseract?"

"Because there's a wizard here with another infinity stone," Thor said, tilting his head in confusion, "you didn't know that?"

~~~

As much as it bothered Tony, now that he knew where the Tesseract was, he couldn't put up much of an argument when Thor and Fury agreed it would be best if Loki stayed at the Tower. New Asgard still needed Thor's help settling in, but as long as Loki was at the Tower, he could contact Thor in a matter of seconds should Thanos decide to show his ugly face in New York.

So Tony let Loki stay. That didn't mean he had to like it, though.

Easily the most aggravated person over the whole matter was Clint, but really, who could blame him?

"I must return to my people," Thor told Tony once he was sure Loki was somewhat settled in. "Loki will not be a problem, I swear to you Stark."

"You better be right about this," Tony grumbled, watching as Loki flipped through a magazine he'd found laying on a bookshelf.

"Thor?"

The Asgardian perked up instantly at Bruce's voice as the doctor came into the room. "Banner! My friend, it is so good to see you!" They wrapped each other in a hug before Bruce stepped back and did a double take.

"Loki?"

"The one and only," Loki said with a bow, although Tony could tell the god was a little nervous around Bruce. It would seem that being slammed repeatedly into the floor left a lasting impression.