Lying

Tony began to panic as Peter collapsed into his arms, unconscious.

"Friday, get someone down here to help!" he cried, checking Peter's pulse and laying him down carefully on the floor.

"Ms. Romanoff is on her way down now, boss," Friday said. Tony frowned, wishing to avoid the whole interaction altogether, but knew that Peter needed someone with more experience to help him.

Moments later, the elevator opened and Natasha rushed out, sliding to a stop and kneeling down beside Peter.

"What happened?" she asked as she hoisted the boy into her arms and began hurrying him back to the elevator.

"I don't know. Friday told me he was on his way to the lab, but that something was wrong. I came out to check on him and he just collapsed!"

When the elevator stopped moving again, they both ran to the med bay, where Natasha laid Peter down on one of the beds.

"I don't know what to do," she admitted with a worried look on her face, "but Steve might."

"Fine," Tony hissed after a seconds hesitation, "Fri, get Steve over here."

Natasha busied herself with removing Peter's long-sleeve shirt.

"What are you doing?" Tony asked.

"I'm guessing that if something is really wrong, the kid's going to need an IV in or blood work done. It'll be easier to do that if we're not having to deal with his sleeves." She pulled the shirt over his head, and they both gasped. Peter's torso was covered in large scars, and his ribs were unhealthily visible.

The door opened and Steve marched in. "What's going on?" he asked, doing a double take at the unconscious kid on the bed.

"We don't know," Natasha said, "Tony said he collapsed." Steve moved closer, gently pushing past Tony to get a better look at Peter.

"I'm no medical expert, but I know some first aid," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I would almost say this looks like starvation. Lots of soldiers suffered from similar symptoms during the war when they weren't getting enough to eat."

"Starvation?" Tony blurted.

"That would explain why he's so light," Natasha added.

"We need to get an IV in him," Steve said, "but I'm not confident I can do that. Is there anyone else here that could?"

Tony shook his head. "No. I'll take him to the hospital. Put his shirt back on." He activated his nanotech suit as Steve and Natasha slid Peter's shirt over the boy's head, then lifted Peter off the bed. He stopped at the door before turning around to look at the two Rogues.

"I..." Tony said, before dipping his chin. "Thank you." Then he hurried into the hallway and up to the helipad, holding Peter close.

"Well, I guess that was a step in the right direction," Steve said as the door slowly swung closed behind Tony. Natasha nodded, but she still had a frown on her face. "What's wrong?"

"His scars... They looked like large burns. I just can't help but wonder if there's more to this kid than meets the eye," she mused quietly.

~~~

"Hey, Pete."

Peter's eyes slowly flickered open and he drowsily took in his surroundings. Mr. Stark was sitting beside his hospital bed with a smile, but worry shone in his eyes. Black Widow and Captain America stood in the corner of the room.

Wait, hospital bed? Peter thought, doing a double take. He moved to sit up, but Mr. Stark placed a hand on his chest and gently pushed him down again.