Apartment Fire

Ned @ 12:30 am
Dude! There's an apartment
building on fire a few blocks
away! They need Spider-Man!

Peter @ 12:31 am
I can't Ned! Ms. Walters is
really angry right now. If she
catches me sneaking out I'm
done for!

Ned @ 12:33 am
I didn't know Spider-Man
could be grounded

Peter, they need you now!

Peter @ 12:34 am
Okay, okay, I'm coming

Peter set down his phone softly so as not to wake up the other boys. He quietly changed into his suit and crept out the window, releasing a web and swinging out into the dark city.

It didn't take long to find the building, and luckily the fire hadn't completely destroyed it yet. He landed beside a group of firefighters and distressed people, who all backed away at his sudden appearance.

"Is there anyone still in there?" Peter shouted over the racket. One of the firemen nodded, pointing up towards the top of the building. "These people are only about three quarters the population of the building. Everyone else is stuck near the top."

Peter didn't wait for a second longer before swinging himself towards one of the only windows that remained undamaged. He burst into the building with a crash, scaring several people huddled in a corner.

"Spider-Man!" a little girl cried. Peter smiled back at her before realizing she wouldn't be able to see it.

"Is this everyone?" he asked. The people nodded.

"This is everyone," one of the men called. He gestured towards the shattered window. "We tried to use the fire escape, but it's jammed. We couldn't move it an inch." Peter nodded, trying to figure out what to do. There were too many people to take down one or two at a time, especially as the fire burned at a faster and faster rate. He approached the fire escape, and sure enough, it had been rusted over.

"Please work please work please work," Peter mumbled as he used all of his strength to try and move the ladder. After several tense seconds, it budged an inch. The people watching behind him gasped in nervous anticipation as it finally screeched and dropped down. Firefighters were gathering below with safety equipment, and Peter could see paramedics on standby.

"Okay people, move it!" Peter shouted, ushering people through the small window, "This building isn't going to last much lon--" Suddenly, the floor inside groaned and the people who hadn't come out yet screamed.

"Hurry!" Peter cried. He climbed in through the window he'd broken earlier to see that the floor was on the brink of collapse. There were still several people waiting to climb out the window.

"Time for Plan B!" Peter announced, leaping into action. He leaned out the window and shot multiple webs, and after what felt like an eternity in the stressful situation, they formed into a trampoline of sorts.

Peter turned, only to watch as the floor heaved beneath the window to the fire escape. The people who hadn't climbed out yet toppled to the ground, which only served to aggravate the situation even further.

"Don't move!" he screamed at the people on the ground. "Moving around will only make it worse!"

Without taking time to second guess himself, Peter ran towards the panicking people on the ground and lifted two of them over his shoulders. He sprinted back to the window, and with a quick "Sorry about this!" tossed them out into his makeshift net. Back and forth he went, trying not to choke on the thick smoke rapidly filtering into the room.