A Plan

Tony stared at the little message, his heart starting to pound. It was short--barely two sentences--but the words were swimming on the screen in front of him.

They're coming tonight. Be ready.

"Friday," Tony asked, his voice wavering, "who sent this message?"

"I can't track it, boss," Friday said. Tony swore, getting up rather aggressively and leaving his lab.

"Get everyone to come to the living room, Friday," he said, jogging to the elevator.

After only a few minutes, everyone was gathered in the living area, awkwardly watching as Tony paced back and forth. Morgan, still frail and very low-energy, was curled on the couch next to Pepper, a thick blanket wrapped around their shoulders. Although the color had returned to her skin and she had started smiling again, it still made Tony angry every time he saw her.

Someone had nearly killed his kid. And if that was what they had done to Morgan, who had no superpowers, it made him sick to imagine what shape Peter must be in.

"Tony," Natasha finally said, "why are we here? What happened?"

"Where's Clint and Sam?" Tony asked. "Everyone needs to be here."

"On their way back from a mission. They land in about an hour," Cap said.

"Fine, we'll just catch them up when they get here then," Tony said. "Friday?"

The message appeared on the television and Tony took a couple steps towards it. He pointed at the words and turned to face the team. "I just got this message a few minutes ago. It's untraceable."

Bruce frowned. "Who's 'they'?"

Tony heaved a sigh, tearing his hand through his already messy hair. "I don't know. But..." he said, pausing as he glanced at Morgan, "if I had to guess, 'they' is the people who have my kid."

Morgan's eyes widened with fear. "You think they're coming here?" she asked, her voice impossibly small. Pepper rubbed her shoulder reassuringly, pulling Morgan closer as Tony took a deep breath.

"I know we've been kind of taking it easy while you get better, but if that's what's happening Morgan, we need to know what we're up against." Tony said. "I remember you mentioned an electric man?"

After a long moment, Morgan nodded, her chin quivering. "He always wore a hood, so it was hard to see his face. He could make electricity with his hands, but usually he had to use some sort of conductor."

Tony glanced at Bruce, who pulled out a pad of paper and started jotting down notes. "Was there anyone else?"

"There was a man that I saw only once. He had these weird metal arm things coming out of his back."

Natasha's brow furrowed and she sat down next to Morgan. "Did you catch his name?"

"No," Morgan said. Nat sat back, clearly thinking very hard about something.

"Is that it?" Cap asked Morgan.

"Well, there was this one guy..." she started, a small smile appearing, "he was the first one I saw. I scratched his face so bad it left scars."

"That's my girl," Nat said, and Morgan giggled. However, in a matter of seconds her smile was wiped from her face. She turned to Tony with a panicked look.

"Dad, he--he told me that the time for heroes and billionaires is over. He was threatening you," she said quickly, her breathing fast and irregular as she looked at all the people gathered around the room, "all of you!"

"Hey, hun, calm down," Pepper said gently, placing a hand on Morgan's leg, "you're safe. We're all okay."

"No, you don't understand!" Morgan shouted, jumping up from the couch and backing away from Pepper. "They're planning something! We need to do something better than just sit around!" She spun around as Tony reached out and touched her shoulder.