Chapter 7

Aubri’s P.O.V.

I sat and chatted with Loki as I drew him on my sucky notebook paper. I could feel Flash’s glares on the back of my head, and his thoughts wouldn’t stop threatening me, even if he didn’t know I could read minds. Loki talked animatedly about his home and his mother, so I added a few details with my green colored pencil. I then pulled out an orange one and started adding his mother to the picture. He only stopped talking to take a big breath and glare at Flash. I felt him behind me and nearly elbowed him in the gut.

“You might want to back away from her. She is a cheater and a gold digger. She used me for money and sex. So, be careful, but a villain should be with the villain. Have fun with her, Loki.” He said, bowing slightly. I buried my head in my arms, knowing everyone was staring at me or taking a video.

“I have no idea what half of those words are, but you are a uskit'r beiskaldi.” Loki said calmly. Flash looked at him stupidly and I took this opportunity to elbow Loki gently and pretend to scold him. Flash looked at us and fled as people started laughing.

“What did you even say?” I asked with a laugh.

“I called him a shit and a bitch.” He responded with the same amount of amusement. He looked at my drawing closer. “How do you know what my mother looks like? I didn’t tell you anything about her looks, just her deeds. You have her almost to a point.” He stared at me suspiciously.

“That, my friend, is the magic of art. You describe a person to me, I start drawing, and I have a very good imagination. Do you like it?” I said, looking at him closely.

“It’s wonderful. May I have it?” He asked me. I nodded and he tucked it into his sweater. I looked at him carefully.

“Why don’t you use your magic? Can’t you just break free and do what you want?” I asked. He looked at me, surprised.

“How would you know that I can use my magic?” He asked.

“You are a god. Mortal tech doesn’t work on you.” I said with a smirk.

“How would you know?” He questioned.
“I got to spend some quality time with Thor. He said that most mortal tech doesn’t work on him, so it definitely won’t work on you.” I said.

“One, I feel bad for you for having to spend time with my brother, and two, what makes you think I’m more powerful than him?” Loki asked as the bell rang.

“I watched the news and saw you wipe the floor with Thor’s head. I only found that a little bit amusing. But if Thor wanted to overpower someone, he easily could. But not you. So, if you want to lie to me and say that your magic doesn’t work, be my guest. I just don’t like liars.” I said with a glare.

“Hey, Aubri. The principal wants to see you in his office.” Peter said, stuffing some stuff into his locker. “Said it was about your scholarship.”

I walked to the office, knowing deep in my gut what was about to happen. I broke up with Flash. My scholarship would be terminated. I would go back to trying to find a job with no identity. I wouldn’t get to go into a med school and hopefully find out what’s wrong with me. I wouldn’t be able to live with Wade, because I will still be broke. I wouldn’t ever get to see Peter again and I would only see my soulmate in the news, maybe. I opened the door and saw Flash’s parents glaring at me. There was a lawyer and a police officer in the room as well.

“Miss Williams. How are you today?” Mr. Choi said, nodding at me. “Please, have a seat.” I sat in the cloth-covered metal chair with a silent sigh.

“We understand that sponsoring Miss Williams meant that we couldn’t pull our sponsorship, but we feel that she doesn’t deserve to go to this prestigious high school anymore. Assault is no small crime. We would like to pull her sponsorship immediately and file a restraining order.” Mrs. Thompson said, pulling out a manilla envelope and handing it to Mr. Choi.

“I understand, but why don’t we hear what Aubri has to say about last night. She looks pretty banged up herself.” Mr. Choi said, looking at me.

“Um, last night, I was going to the apartment that the Thompsons rented for me, and Flash, um, Eugine was waiting for me. He thought that I had cheated on him, so we started arguing. Um, I was walking away to clear my head when he started to follow me. He grabbed my arm, and I pushed him off. This made me lose my balance and fall down the stairs. I might have taken him with me, but I don’t remember. I hit my head pretty hard.” I said nervously, picking at my nail beds.

“Two flights of stairs. That is how far he fell. He luckily didn’t break any bones, but he did have a few carpet burns. This is unacceptable! We did so much for you so you could be with Flash, but you had to go and cheat on him. Be thankful that we don’t press charges. You would go to jail for a very long time.” Mrs. Thompson said, standing up in anger.

“Mrs. Thompson, sit down!” Mr. Choi said sternly. “Aubri, are you sure that’s what happened? Mr. Thompson gave a very different story.”

“I might have missed a few details, but I just told you the jist of what happened. I did hit my head pretty hard falling down the stairs.” I said, looking down.

“Well, I have no idea who to believe, but I will allow you to pull your sponsorship. I send my deepest regrets that this happened. Aubri, I’ll give you the rest of today at school, unless you can afford it now or get a new scholarship.” Mr. Choi said.

“No, I can’t. Thank you, sir. For everything.” I said, bowing out of the room. I walked blindly to my locker, where I was vaguely aware of Loki sitting there waiting for me. I opened the door, only after failing to get my combination right at least three times, and started stuffing my stuff into my bag. When I had decided that my locker was empty enough, I pulled out my phone and texted Peter that Loki was at my locker. I then texted Wade and asked him to come pick me up.

“What’s wrong?” Loki asked me, grabbing my good arm.

“Nothing. Just, go away.” I said, ripping it out of his grasp.

“No, not until you tell me.” He persisted, tugging at my backpack.

“I said stop!” I said, whipping around way too fast. Loki went flying into the lockers with a grunt. I stared at him, blood leaking out of his mouth, and fled.