Chapter 14

Loki's P.O.V

"How did catching the Midgardian go?" I asked my brother when he stumbled down the stairs to my cell. He grumbled at me and shoved my meal through the barrier.

"She escaped. She very nearly hurt the Spider-Child, missing only by millimeters." He said, sitting down in the chair outside my cell.

"How?" I nearly growled out. Peter was my friend, my shield brother, and I wasn't willing to let the person who hurt him run free. I felt Thanos push against my mental barriers and flinched.

"She stuck him to a tree using a dagger. She also bruised his ribs with a single punch." My brother said. "She also used Asgardian magic." My eyes widened in shock.

"Did you get a feel of her seiôr?" I questioned. "Maybe I can trace it and find her."

"I was too busy reeling from the attack. She seemed untrained, so the blast was powerful and simple. Pure magic as a form of self-defense." He explained. We both looked up when Peter came running down the stairs.

"Loki!" He said, pressing against the barrier. "She fought like you did!"

"I am aware, Peter." I said. "But are you alright? Thor said you fought valiantly."

"I'm fine. I'll be all better by morning. Why do they keep you down here again?" He asked, opening my cell. I raised an eyebrow at him and stayed sitting on my bed.

"It is a safety measure in case Thanos re-enters my mind," I explained, looking at Thor, who nodded. I stepped out of the cell and looked over Peter with a healer's eye.

"That's dumb! We all know we can just keep you safe here! You've done nothing other than follow our rules! Come, I will show you one of the spare apartments that you can stay in!" He said, grabbing my arm.

"How about we discuss this tomorrow? I am feeling rather tired and my cell isn't the worst place in the world. You need to go home, Peter." I said with a smile.

"But it isn't fair!" Peter whined. I just laughed.

"Come, spider-child. I shall escort you to the roof." Thor said, taking him by the arm and leading him away. Peter looked back and waved, and I returned it with a smile.

Dream

"You will return to me, boy." Thanos said, sitting on his throne. I realized quickly that I had been tied up and gagged. I struggled against my bonds. "I know you don't think I care for you, but I offered you what you wanted. Power, a realm to rule, and a name for yourself. Now you must return to me." I screamed into the bonds as he pushed into my mind.

...

I woke with a start. I reinforced my mind's shields, but my nightmare was making it hard to do so. I growled in frustration and tried to find a happy memory. My stupid mind kept coming up with my hurtful words to Aubri, and her sadness as she walked away. A sob escaped me as I tried to think of anything else. Eventually, my mind chose to think of her standing up for me when she found out I was in a cell. I forced Thanos out of my head and slid down the wall. I pulled at my hair, the pain helping to ground me. Once I was aware of everything, I realized my seiôr had lashed out, destroying the room. The only thing that survived my outburst was Aubri's drawings. I sighed and put my head in my hands.

"Are you alright?" Barton asked, standing outside my cell. I looked at him.

"Are you here to gloat? I am finally beneath you. It's just what you wanted, isn't it? You wanted to see me weak and powerless." I breathed out with a laugh. "Well, I'm down. Why don't you kick me while you are at it."

"You know what, I came down here because I like the kid enough to care, but now? I'm regretting it. Have fun explaining this to Tony." He said, stomping off.

I watched him leave with a sneer. I then realized it was happening again. Thanos was slowly taking over my mind. I sighed and stared into space again. I didn't notice my head nodding until I was asleep.

Dream

Aubri was sitting on a rock, staring at nothing. I realized I must have dream-walked on accident. I slowly walked up to her and sat beside her. She looked at me with a smile.

"Thought you might want to not dream tonight." She murmured. "I know I didn't."

"What do you mean?" I asked. "How are you doing this?"

"Would you believe me if I told you magic?" She asked sheepishly. I stared at her.

"You do know magic?" I asked excitedly.

"No. I know dreamscapes. I know self-defense. I know certain things. But I am no magician." She said, glaring at the void.

"I could teach you." I offered. "You should be trained in magic so it doesn't destroy you from the inside out."

"I only had magic when I met you... It hasn't been an issue before." She muttered, throwing a rock. I stared at her.

"Your seiðr was powerful when I met you." I said, confused.

"I met you once, in passing, during New York." She confessed. I looked at her in surprise. I opened my mouth to say something when, "I copied your skill on accident... but I haven't been able to shake it since."

"That is very impressive. Especially for a beginner mage." I praised. She glared.

"I am not a mage. I'm not from a different realm." She protested. She then sat still. "You are waking up. This is a dream."

"But, I don't want it to be. This has to be dream walking!" I said, reaching out for her. She shook her head and faded out of my dream.

Real World

I woke to a Stark threatening me. I smirked at him and fixed my room with magic. "There, all better." I said.

"No. Why did you ruin it in the first place?" Stark demanded.

"I had a nightmare." I said, fighting the urge to stab the man in front of me.

"Of what?" He asked, nicer at least.

"Thanos. He calls me back." I sneered. "And I have half a mind to do that."