Last of the Family - Meeting in Philadelphia

Magni P.O.V

I streamed across the sky on my way to Philadelphia when I heard multiple voices in my earpiece.

Magni: What have you got?

I asked them.

Barbara Gordon: Her last trace is several years old, after Billy's death when she returned home, she stayed there for exactly 3 weeks then disappeared.

Tim Drake: It's similar for me too, I've searched the missing person's database but haven't found anything new. I'm surprised they didn't address it at all back then...

Magni: It was different back then, Superman, the Regime, and all that, nobody thought it was important.

Jason: I'm not surprised either, I got in touch with my old contacts, and they didn't tell me anything we know now.

Barbara Gordon: I'm sorry but the trail has since gone cold and it's going to be very difficult or impossible to find her.

Bruce: But we can try, I didn't pay attention to it at the time but in the memory of Billy, it would be worth finding her.

Magni: Okay, I'll contact you as soon as I find out anything more from her family.

I descended in the evening-lit sky to the ground and landed in front of the front door of Billy's adoptive family's house.

I rang the doorbell and then heard a young boy's voice from inside.

The door opened with the words of a young boy in his teens but as soon as he saw who was standing there his jaw dropped.

Freddy Freeman: What do you .... oh my god.

He exclaimed amazed.

Magni: I believe you know who I am.

I smile at him.

Freddy Freeman: I...

He was speechless but then we heard three more voices, two guys came out of the left side, both in their teens, one Asian and the other a chubbier boy a Mexican.

The third was a girl, of African descent.

Darla: Freddy who is this ...

Eugene Choi/Pedro Peña: Oh ...

But then finally the Vasquez parents came to the door to see who it was.

Magni: Can I come in? There are certain matters that we have to discuss, and it would be better inside.

I looked questioningly.

Freddy Freeman: All right, feel free to come in.

I was led into their living room where I sat down on the couch while I leaned Stormbreaker against the seat back and the two young boys immediately started admiring and touching it, to which I smiled.

Magni: I think you know why I'm here.

I glanced at them expecting their answer.

Victor Vasquez: You're here because of Mary, are you not? He told us he'd find her; he promised. But it seems that his promise is worth shit.

Freddy Freeman: Father...

Victor Vasquez: No, Freddy! I'm right, she should have been home with us a long time ago.

He angrily and retorted showing his frustration.

Magni: You're right, I'm here because of her. I had a visit from Wizard yesterday. He asked for my help, cause he cannot find her.

The displeased father snapped after which his wife scolded him.

Rosa Vasquez: Victor!!!

Magni: If I am to find her and bring her home, I need to know all I can about her, when she vanished, and if she left anything behind to suggest where she went or where she may be.

Rosa Vasquez: There's not that lot but if it will help you.

She recounted everything that has happened since Billy's death, how the other members of the Shazam family, gave up their powers but Mary kept them. Distancing herself from the others, apparently wrecked from his death. How she had left to who knows where.

Magni: Well, she was devastated by his death but other than that there is no indication as to why she disappeared.

That's when Darla spoke up.

Darla: I don't know if this is helpful to you but when she came back, I remember she was uneasy and glanced over her shoulder and around a lot. When I asked her about it, she denied it and said it was nothing important. The night she disappeared though I found this in her room the morning after.

She ran out and returned moments later holding a purple futuristic vambrace and handed it to him.

Freddy Freeman: You've been hiding this the whole time, why didn't you talk about it before?

He questioned his sister looking at how Magni checked that mysterious piece of equipment.

Magni: It's a piece of suit probably but very advanced and more advanced than what I've seen before. I know someone who can help me with this, perhaps we can find out more from this why she disappeared and where she may be, but I'm not making promises.

I answered while looking at an object in my hand.

Rosa Vasquez: Please bring our Mary home.

Her mother pleaded.

Magni: I will keep you updated and when I find something important and you will know about it.

I assured them.

In a few minutes, I was airborne on my way back.

Magni: Bruce I have something, Meet me back in the Tower.

Batman: Okay, we'll be waiting for you.

The voice of the Gotham Guardian echoed over the commlink.