⋆⋆✧ [6] ✧⋆⋆

Kat decided that, for once, she would stop being in control of her emotions

She let the storm inside her explode, even though she wasn't alone. But here, on the field with him, it was like being on the roof alone. She felt as if she could let go of the façade and be who she truly was.

"I wanted to go to New York," she said once her cries had reached their limits. He hadn't said anything yet, letting her cry against his shoulder. They both were looking at the stars above them. They were so close to each other in the dark that he had noticed she smelled like strawberries and soap.

"I was going to go abroad after graduation," he finally confessed. "Where?" "Anywhere. I wanted to see it all."

She smiled at his response. They really were a lot alike. She turned her face to him, and he did the same. A small tear dropped from her eyes to the side of her nose. She took her time to better look at him. The only light was from the stars, but it was enough to appreciate his fluffy hair and smooth features. He truly was gorgeous. He maintained eye contact until it was too much for her and she blushed, looking away.

"I had this list," she whispered now, almost like a confession, "of everything I wanted to do, even the most unrealistic things ever." He smiled, remembering that she had already mentioned it once on the roof. But he wanted to hear it again. "What kind of things?"

As she looked at the stars, her mouth curved into a big nostalgic smile. "Things like you see in movies or books, or other regular things that I never did, like driving or having a food fight."

His laugh broke the silence around them, so loud that she began to laugh too. "A food fight? Really?" He received a punch on the shoulder. "Don't mock me."

"I'd never dare." He was still laughing, and that made her smile. "What else?"

"Dancing in the rain, having a karaoke night, dancing like a child in a crowded room, playing paintball, dyeing my hair, choosing my own clothes instead letting my mother decides, becoming a famous author..." Wally rose up on one elbow to get a better look at the stars shimmering in her eyes while she listed all the things she had written on that list.

And suddenly, he had a brilliant idea. She must have sensed it because she eyed him. Wally was grinning like the devil with a malicious smile. "Let's do this then."

"What?" she asked, confused.

"Well, I could help you fill up your holes," he responded too quickly to realize. "Oh shit – I mean the holes on your list, like a checkbox." He closed his eyes, blushing so hard he was glad for the night to hide most of it.

At first, Kat was too stunned to speak, but then she started laughing again. "How will we do this then?"

"We have all the time in the world to find ways, right?"

Kat thought about what her life had been until then. Forced to please everyone but herself, now that she was dead, she wondered if she could have the chance to be a little selfish for once. Could this be my chance? she thought, my chance to finally live?

"Okay, but on one condition."

"I'm listening, Kit Kat."

"Well, you'll need a bucket list too. It's a partnership."

He already had one, much shorter but still, for the first time in a long time, Wally knew his death wouldn't be as boring anymore.

That night, Wally and Kat settled on the same couch as the day before. She helped add another one right next to the other, making it almost look like a bed.

He had handed her some clothes and left her privacy to change. She was so relieved to finally leave her skirt as she put on a jogging too large for her and a white t-shirt.

He offered to sleep somewhere else, but she felt comfortable enough to share and he was the last person who would complain about that.

"We'll make you a bedroom too if you want. There are still some unoccupied classrooms on this floor," he offered.

"I've never realized this school was so huge," she replied.

"Yeah, not the worst place to be stuck in," he said as he put a blanket over her and took one for himself. Kat made herself comfortable and they both turned to face each other.

"Do you really think there is no way out?" she asked.

"Not that I know of. Mr. Martin has been here since the '50s, and he still doesn't know how to leave, so..." Wally trailed off.

Kat thought about it for a second before asking, "Are there any older ghosts than him?" The school had been here since 1930, and it was an orphanage before, so some ghosts must be very old.

Wally's brows furrowed at that question. "Actually, no. For some reason, there are none."

"Weird," she noted. Indeed, he thought.

They kept talking until their eyes grew heavy. Soon they fell asleep, a few inches from each other.

⋆☾⋆

I upload three chapters a day, and I have my finals in two weeks. Please pray for me

Bye bye 🐝