♡ [10] ♡

Kat was having such a wonderful day that she just didn't want it to stop

It had been so long since she'd felt this happy, and it only took for the guy she liked to ask her to a dance. "He really did that," she thought for the hundredth time again, while half-listening to the ghost meeting taking place around her. She looked at Wally and immediately looked away when he did too.

As she was returning to daydreaming about what had taken place a few hours before, Mr. Martin's voice drew her back to reality. "Katherine, would you like to say something about the ladder?" She looked at the teacher, confused. "Why would I talk about a ladder?" In response, the group began laughing, and she realized she had misheard his question.

Wally got closer to her, whispering in her ear, "He was asking your thoughts on the matter," he quoted with his finger, giving her an encouraging wink. "What matter are you referring to exactly?" she questioned the teacher, who seemed on the verge of breaking down. "I'm sorry," she added.

"Field day, Miss Wells, field day," he corrected.

"We can have a field day? But how?" She should have listened to what they were talking about, and she felt silly now with everyone staring at her. "It's okay, Mr. Martin," reassured Wally with a hand on her shoulder. "I'll explain it to her."

"Yeah, can we go now?" asked Rhonda, already on her feet. After the rest of the group was dismissed, Kat offered to help the teacher clean up the chairs to try and make amends. Wally offered as well, but Mr. Martin dismissed him to speak to the girl.

"I'll be on the roof, Kit Kat," she smiled at Wally, who headed for the exit.

As soon as he was out the door, the teacher nervously played with his glasses, watching Kat take care of the chairs. "So, Kather...Kat, how is necrology going so far?" The reminder of the homework she was asked to do made her cringe. She had forgotten about that. "I'm sorry, Mr. Martin, I just don't know where to begin with it. It feels...weird."

She looked at him, searching through his bag for a folder full of paper that he handed to her. "Here are some examples to help you," she took it nervously and thanked him. "Don't hesitate to come talk to me about anything."

She nodded, and they finished in silence. Before she passed through the doorframe, she turned back to him with a burning question in mind. "When you died in the '50s, were there any ghosts already?"

This question took him by surprise, and he suddenly straightened up in her direction. "Why do you ask, Miss Wells?"

"I just didn't have the chance to encounter older ghosts than you, that's all."

He forced a tight smile on his lips. "Well, yes, a few actually."

"What happened to them?"

"Well, they – passed on the other side. "

Rhonda and Charley had explained to her that it was possible but rare, and none of them had experience knowing someone who had passed. "Really ? all of them ?"

"Yes." He just said, walking out the other door and leaving her alone with a strange feeling.

Wally was staring at the stars when she joined him on the roof. "Finally! I was getting scared you had moved on to the other side of something like that," he joked as she settled next to him. "On that topic, don't you find Mr. Martin weird sometimes?" he arched a brow at her with a gentle smile.

"I mean, he's a teacher who died in the 50s, so of course he is, right?" She giggled at his response but continued, "But still, there is no other ghost before him? And he still doesn't know how to move on? It's strange." He agreed in a nod but didn't answer. "I'm sorry," Kat launched after a few seconds. "I'm really paranoid, right?"

"No, I don't think you are," he took her hand in his, lost in thought. "Let's talk to the others about it tomorrow, alright, Kit Kat?"

"It's that late already?" She got up on her feet, dragging him up with her, or at least tried to as her weight was nothing compared to his. "Oh my god, you're so heavy!" He got up, flexing his muscles at her. "It's all muscle, baby." She punched him in the chest, noticing what he was referring to. "You really sound like a jock now."

He came closer to her, maintaining eye contact. "I'm one of the good ones, I promise. Others give us a bad name." She sighed with a smile she couldn't hide. They were so close to each other now; she wondered if he was going to kiss her. She wanted to, but when she was beginning to close her eyes, he took a step back, keeping her hand in his. "Do you want to call it a night? Maybe we could make you a real bedroom?"

She felt kind of disappointed but chose to hide it. "Tomorrow for the bedroom. I had a really nice day today, but I still want to do something, if you're game."

She bit the inside of her mouth, hoping for him to say yes. "You know I'm always game for you, Kit Kat!"

She didn't waste any time and rushed him in the direction of the pool. As it was inside the school, the water wouldn't be so cold, right?

"What are we doing here, Kat?" The only light was a neon blue coming from the water, making the scenery very intimate. "I've never jumped fully clothed in a pool before," she responded, making him laugh. "Because you think a lot of people have?"

"Maybe they're missing out?" She almost believed he would disagree, but he was next to her a second later, looking at the water below.

"On three?" he asked, and she nodded. "One ... two – " and then he pushed her in the water, following a second later.

"Wally!" she screamed, coughing up the water that had gotten into her mouth. "Oh, it's cold," he stated. She felt the fabric of her shirt stick to her skin, giving her chills. She couldn't believe they just did it.

In revenge for being pushed, she splashed him, resulting in a water fight between the two of them as their laughter filled the space around them.

As they found themselves underwater, in the intimacy of the deserted pool, Kat went in for a kiss. She just kissed him, without even thinking about it, deciding to go for it. It just felt right.

And it was right, as Wally held on to her when they finally came up to the surface for fresh air, shivering from the wave of emotion exploding in his chest.

⋆☾⋆

Hello everybody! I have a quick question because I have been thinking about adding additional plot regarding Nat's character. I have added her portrait in the first chapter if you want to check that out. Additionally, I may focus some chapters on her investigation, her grief, and also possibly add another character who could help her (😏) and other stuff.

Please let me know what you think 😉

Bye bye 🐝