⋆⋆✧ [24] ✧⋆⋆

The day Janet Hamilton and M

The day Janet Hamilton and M. Martin found peace, everything changed. They all felt it—the change in the atmosphere, the peace in their hearts.

After the rush of adrenaline due to their success, a wave of peace settled among them as the group rushed outside the doors.

"Do you really think it had something to do with all of this?" Wally wondered apprehensively. If this were true, if they could really leave.

He looked at the girl by his side, knowing he would follow her to the end of the world, and she smiled back, her eyes full of hope. "I have a feeling it might," she squeezed his hand as he took a deep breath filled with emotions.

"Only one way to find out, right?" Rhonda and Dawn grinned at the rest as they intertwined their hands and began to run in the direction of the street. "Fuck it!" yelled Charley, catching everyone by surprise as he was never one to swear.

"Ready?" she asked.

"Only if you are."

And so they began to rush after the others. Kat couldn't focus on anything else but the wind in her face, the freedom of relief, and the pure joy of being surrounded by all her friends rushing for freedom. She closed her eyes the moment her feet left the school's grass as she jumped onto the pavement. She kept them closed, scared she would be wrong, but then, as her feet landed on the street— Nothing happened.

And when she opened her eyes, Wally was still next to her.

They did it.

They were free.

"What now?" asked Kat.

Everyone stayed silent. "I didn't think it would actually work," gently muttered Charley. When he said it again, he began to laugh, harder and harder until everyone burst into a mix of pure joy and tears. What now? wondered Kat silently. What do I do now? Where do I go?

As her mind raced with questions, Wally took her into his arms, hugging her between his laughs, and in that moment, she knew she was invincible, and she would go anywhere he wanted.

☾⋆⋆★⋆⋆☾

That night, Dawn and Rhonda made a huge decision. They all decided to go to the nearest restaurant, which was actually a diner. They settled inside, and all the ghosts just looked at the life they had missed—people, family, life.

"Milkshake," Wally took another sip with a delighted face. "I missed this."

"Me too," replied Charley.

In that moment, Rhonda and Dawn stayed silent, only glancing at each other, but they knew what that meant. They soon excused themselves and went to the roof. As they lay under the stars, they both felt so small compared to the rest of the universe. They were so small, just little dust in the grand scheme of things, and they both were ready for whatever was next. On the other side.

"I'm bored," Rhonda finally started.

"What do you think is on the other side?" replied Dawn.

Rhonda stood on her elbow as she brushed a strand of hair out of Dawn's face. "What if we found out?"

"Together."

"Always."

As they kissed under the stars, they finally let go of everything, and their souls were free.

In that instant, they all felt it—the silent goodbyes of their friends. They cried together, grieving for their friends, and yet they all knew it was for the best. They all had the hint that, no matter where they were, they were infinite, as one.