⋆⋆✧ [9] ✧⋆⋆

Since she had intercepted the dreadful conversation, Nathalie couldn't think about anything else

She entered the school with bloodshot eyes and a migraine due to the lack of sleep. She had lost her best friend, her soul-sister, and she was now convinced that it had not been the result of an accident.

She wandered alone in the school, replaying what she had heard a week before. What did Clara do to Kat? How could she prove anything? Could she confront her and Liam? She had no clue how to proceed with this information. What she didn't know was that Kat was with her, making sure that she was holding up.

Sometimes, Kat could swear that Nat had felt her presence. Her friend would look up and search for something around her, but in the end, it was impossible. The two friends were so close, yet so far.

Charley found Kat with Nat, sitting on the tables outside the lunchroom. "Are you okay?" he asked, sensing the worry of the girl. "I wonder if she is."

He sat down in front of her, crossing his legs. "You know, they eventually move on. She'll miss you forever, but I promise you it gets better," he started smiling but it quickly faded away when he looked behind her shoulder.

"What is it?" she wondered, turning around to discover one of her former teachers. "did you knew him?" With a quick mental estimation, Kat added, "He was your age when you died, right?"

Charley looked down and Kat put her hand on his. "It's okay, you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

"Emilio and I met on a school camping trip. He was sweet and I - I had this huge crush on him," he looked up with a nostalgic stare that his friend understood. "I was teased for being gay and he was the only one nice to me because he was the same. We were so much alike. The only difference was that he was proud of it, and I was scared." His voice trembled a little, and Kat didn't let go of his hand, showing him that she was listening. "One day," he continued, "my parents asked me why I wasn't dating anyone and - and he told them that I was, in fact, dating him."

Kat couldn't help but gasp at the revelation. "He outed you?"

"Yes - yes, but - I was so mad at first, so I wrote him this hateful letter full of things I never meant, but -" he paused, catching his breath, "but the fact is that this letter is the last thing I said to him before - dying."

Kat was next to him now, hugging him, and they both felt comforted by that. "Thanks, Kat," he mumbled. "For listening."

"Always here for you, sunshine," she replied tenderly.

"All of that to say," he pointed at her friend, still sitting next to them and unaware of the discussion that was unfolding in front of her, "that it gets better. She'll be okay."

Kat felt her chest tightening and took a deep breath, looking at her best friend. At least she would get to grow old, experience life.

As she began to be lost in her thoughts, Charley suddenly got up saying, "C'mon, I have to take you somewhere now."

"Where?" she followed him in the direction of the field. It didn't creep her out anymore, on the contrary, actually. The view was quite nice. Charley took her to the middle of the field where Rhonda was waiting.

"What's going on?" she asked her friend, who heavily sighed before asking in return, "Homecoming dance is in a week, right kitty cat?"

Kat didn't quite follow what her friend meant. "And so what?"

"And your favorite movie is 10 Things I Hate About You, correct?" she replied, ignoring her previous question.

She had told Wally a couple of days prior when they were arguing about choosing a different movie for movie night, but she didn't understand what it had to do with anything. Before she could respond, Charley stated, "Here we go."

Suddenly, the speakers on each side of the bleachers started playing Kat's favorite song, "Can't Take My Eyes Off You". It was weird because none of the living students reacted when the music started playing, as it was only perceptible to the ghost friend group. Kat knew what was going to happen but still cheered in surprise when she saw Wally on the top of the bleachers, mic in hand singing to the song.

She watched in wonder as he recreated the entire choreography, even pretending to be chased by imaginary guards. He made his way down the field to her as they all clapped and cheered for him. Even Rhonda was amused by the situation.

"Hi Kit Kat," he started, a big smile on his face. "I figured I'd surprise you with the next thing to cross off your list."

"It was amazing!" she grabbed his arms, jumping like a little kid. Charley and Rhonda silently left, laughing at the scene.

"And I wanted to ask you for a favor."

"What?" Wally passed a hand through his hair, suddenly shy.

"I've always gone alone to homecoming, and I was wondering if you would go with me."

A moment of silence passed between them, as Kat was too stunned to respond. "As a date?" she finally asked, hopeful.

"Well, not if you don't want to. Being friends is perfect too. Or a date also or whatever you want, or not," he started rambling on his words, making Kat giggle.

"Yes, Wally. I'll go to the Homecoming dance with you."

⋆☾⋆

if you've never watched the movie '10 Things I Hate About You', stop everything that you're doing and go watch it right now. It's amazing."

Wally really is a lover boy / golden retriever and we love that.

bye 🐝