Chapter 46: Reaction

Ashley's POV

I looked at my phone's screen before throwing it back under my pillow.

I told myself I didn't want to know whether Tristan had texted me or not but I couldn't help but be curious.

It had been three hours since I handed him the letter and there was no message from him.

The anxietywas killing me. How would he react to this whole thing?

I didn't expect him to be happy about it but I expected him to say something about it, even if it was a treat or a long message about how much he hates me right now and never wants to see me again.

Had I made a mistake by giving him that letter? Maybe everything would have been better off if I had just decided to follow through with Layla's plan. He wouldn't have been hurt by this.

But I had to do it.

By now, almost all the nails on my left hand had been chewed off. A few more hours and all my hair will be gone too.

I paced around the small space in my room as I tried to think of my next move.

Calling him wasn't an option. I didn't know how upset he was and I definitely didn't want to make things worse. It would be shameless of me after everything I'ddone. I should at least give him space to think about everything before showing up again.

Maybe he hadn't even read it yet, that's why he wasn't responding. Surely, he was a very busy person with a lot to deal with. I couldn't just expect him to have read the letter.

I finally decided to switch my phone off and wait for a response tomorrow.

~*~

It was the next day and it had been eight hours and thirty-two minutes since I handed him the letter. I knew this because I had been counting down every second.

I couldn't fall asleep. I switched my phone on again within minutes then started crying about everything.

At this point, I couldn't even cryto make myself feelbetter. I was all cried out.

I was almost startled by my own reflection. My hair was a total mess with dark circles under my eyes. I hadn't even bothered to change into my pyjamas.

I made my way downstairs. If I was going to continue crying, I at least needed to be hydrated.

The house was unusually loud this morning with mom yelling at Katy to get ready while Katy threw a tantrum. Mom must have been in a good mood today because otherwise, she wouldn't have gotten away with it. I ignored them, filling my glass with water.

"Why haven't you had breakfast yet? You are going to be late." Mom snapped at Katy.

"I'm almost done," Katy responded rolling her eyes. Mom probably didn't notice.

She was trying to braid her hair with one hand while using the other to slip into her shoes.

"You are supposed to be at school already." Mom snapped. "And don't forget to do what I told you. I want everything you brought packed. I'm taking it away today." She added.

"You honestly can't make me give up my clothes, it wasn't even your money." Katy pleaded.

"If you think you are all grown up now and don't want to listen to me, you can leave my house the same way you came into this world. With absolutely nothing." Mom snapped back.

Katy turned to look at me with pleading eyes. I was hoping to get her back for last night, but I guess Karma decided to do a better job than me.

"What happened to you?" Mom asked as she turned her attention to me. "Have you been crying?" Mom asked.