Chapter 51: In Love and War

Ashley's POV

Had I known this was how my day would turn out, I would have never left the house. I would have stayed home and told him the truth then, maybe we would have had the chance to talk this out instead.

I was dreaming, that is what I told myself to try and make sense of this whole thing. There was no way this was happening. Soon, Katy would start jumping on my bed and I'd wake up and find that it was all but a dream to teach me never to lie. But this was too real.

If he knew this all along, why wouldn't he just talk to me about it? Why do this? And here?

Right now, Ihad two options. I could either stand here and cry, further embarrassing myself or confront him about it. Now wasn't the time for me to cry or act emotionally.

I hadn't realized I had been frozen on the spot. Tristan was already near the exit.

I hurried off the stage and walked towards Tristan. Everyone seemed to create a clear path for me as they continued to murmur.Choosing not to look anywhere else, I walked straight ahead.

Tristan was more in a rush to leavehere but I caught up with him halfway down the corridor.

I grabbed his arm, spinning him around to face me with all the strength I had.

He was taken aback. His face was filled with confusion at first, which quickly turned into anger.

I think at this point I was equally angry as he was. I know what I did was terrible, but this was far too low. I just hope Mom doesn't die from a heart attack after all this.

"Why did you do this?" I managed to ask. I looked into his cold stare. My voice must have squeaked but I managed to get a sentence out.

His anger worsened, his cheeks turning into a brighter shade. "Let go of me," he demanded, his voice forceful. If it was possible, I would have grabbed his arm even tighter. I had avoided this conversation for a long time, but it was about time it happened.

Some of the guests had left the hall and were now watching Tristan and me as the murmurs continued. But I didn't care. I needed an explanation from him, and I was going to get it. Maybe he'd finally hear mine too.

Tristan pulled his arm away from mine forcibly. I thought he'd walk away but he didn't. Instead, he grabbed a hold of mine and pulled me away towards a door that I hadn't noticed had been there earlier. It blended in perfectly with the wallpaper.

We stepped into the room. It looked like a study, with a desk and bookshelves. I didn't bother taking in the rest of the room.

He let go of my arm as I stood behind the door.

He leaned forward to push the door close, closing the gap between us. It left almost no space between us, leaving me trapped between the door and his arm.

We were close, well too close. I could feel his heart beating just as fast.

I needed to accept and get it through to my head that there was no chance of us ever being together. Especially after all this. If I was going to think straight, I couldn't have him this near.

With all the strength I managed to master, I pushed him back causing him to stumble.

"Why did you do this?" I repeated, this time more forcefully. I understood how he must have felt but that was just pretty low for anyone to do.

He took a moment to balance himself, then walked away towards the open window. It was as if he couldn't stand to be around me. I took some steps closer, just so I wouldn't have to shout. I could tell his anger had resurfaced, but he somehow appeared calm. "You really have a lot of nerves considering what you've done. You are only angry because I played by your rules, stabbing people in the back." He retorted.