Chapter 56: What the heck happened?

Tristan's POV

I snapped out of my thoughts as I rushed to take Ashley from his arms.

I rushed back inside and laid her down on the couch. She wasn't moving, she looked like she wasn't breathing. She was covered in dirt and cold to the touch. I didn't even want to imagine what she must have gone through.

I sat on the couch and placed her head on my lap, checking her responsiveness.

"I'm... Kevin, I'm Ashley's stepfather." The man explained. He followed us into the living room. He looked very nervous and jittery. He looked like someone I wouldn't otherwise have trusted but I was thankful he had brought her here.

I chose to forget about him. Right now I had a much bigger problem.

"Her pulse is very faint," Luke reported.

I shook her shoulder hoping she would wake up, but she wasn't responding. At least I knew she was alive.

"What did you do to her?" I asked.

"I was trying to save her life," Kevin answered nervously.

How was he trying to save her? At the moment, she looked more dead than alive. If she stayed like this for longer, she would die.

"Luke, call the ambulance," I demanded.

Luke fumbled through his pockets for a phone.

"You can't do that right now," Kevin stopped him. "She can't know that Ashley is still alive. You'll put Ashley and her family in more danger. We can't do anything until she has been arrested." He rumbled.

She? Who was he referring to?

I couldn't just leave Ashley like that and wait for her to die.

"She should be awake at any moment. I switched one of the drugs when they weren't looking. It's just a sedative." Kevin continued.

Drugs? This was far more serious than I could have imagined.

As luck would have it, Ashley slowly began to wake up. She coughed lightly as her eyes slowly opened. Her hands moved soon after. I sighed in relief. This was a good sign at least. I had hope again.

"Ashley," I whispered to her, hoping she could keep her eyes open long enough.

Soon after, she regained full consciousness as she slowly sat up straight.

Luke decided to hold off calling the police or ambulance for now. We'd first find out what happened and then we'd contact the authorities.

Ashley looked around in confusion. She was only starting to register where she was.

"Ashley, are you okay?" I asked concerned. I moved closer to her.

Her confused face quickly changed into one filled with panic as she shifted away from me to the opposite end of the couch. "Where am I?" She asked in a panic. "Who are you?"

Luke and I stared at her concerned.

With everything she has been through, I could understand her reaction. I just wanted her to know she was safe and alright.

"It's me, Tristan. You are safe now, you'll be alright." I tried to assure her. We tried to keep our distance hoping it would assure her she was safe.

My words must have triggered a reaction in her because soon after she started hyperventilating. I did what I could to help her but she was only getting worse.