Chapter 55: A surprise visitor

*It may contain some sensitive scenes*

Tristan's POV

After I left my grandfather's construction site, my mind became restless. There was definitely something going on. Ashley wouldn't just disappear like that. She loved her family. Everything was just far too crazy. As absurd as Katy sounds, maybe she had a point. Which meant I needed to investigate.

The thing about solving a case is that everyone is a suspect—especially the crazy ex-boyfriend. I'd met him before, he seemed far too eager to get back at Ashley so I wouldn't put any of this past time.

After a few threats, he confirmed that he had seen her earlier that morning. The creep followed her from her house without her noticing and then stopped her at a corner. He assured us that he didn't do anything to her. With the frightened look in his eyes, I think I might have believed him. It took everything in me not to punch him.

This was how we got to our next clue. Luke sent some guys to that street to ask if anyone had seen her. There weren't security cameras in the area. That's what led us to our next clue. Luke said he met an elderly homeless man on the street. He mentioned witnessing a kidnapping. He said he had reported it, but the police quickly dismissed him considering his drunken state. It was a bit difficult getting information out of him considering he couldn't even remember basic information like when it happened. I don't think he knew what year it was. After a couple more questions, his description of Ashley was almost identical to Waylen's when he said he had seen her earlier. This helped confirm the obvious, Ashley was kidnapped.

Since then, we've been using all the available footage to look for vehicles that match that description that could have entered that area. It's been a couple of hours and we still haven't found anything useful. We are trying to look into other clues but so far we haven't had any progress.

This person who did this must have really hated her. I wouldn't doubt it if it was the same person who orchestrated the accident. Who would want her dead that desperately?

I was back at my house just outside the city, it had far more space and I wouldn't get that much interference from work this way.

"You should give it some rest," Luke said.

I stopped in my tracks. I hadn't realized how long I'd been pacing around.

"You've been working all night, you should give this a rest. I'm sure the investigators will get back to us with something useful very soon. It might help if you have a clear head," Luke added.

"I don't know," I sighed. "I just feel like we are missing something... or someone," I answered. I looked at my watch to see that it was five a.m. I hadn't slept all night, this probably wasn't good for me either.

I sat down on the couch, staring up at the ceiling. How hard could it possibly be to find a van?

Luke sat down next to me. I dragged him into this. He probably hadn't slept much either.

"The poor girl must have had a tough life, with everything that happened to her and growing up with a drunk stepfather. It must have been a blow when she learned Madison was her half-sister." Luke commented.

I nearly choked on air. "What now?" I asked confused. I must have heard wrong, had Luke just thrown Madison's name into this conversation.

"You didn't know?" He asked. He looked genuinely surprised as if I was just supposed to have randomly known this. I knew Leonardo was her uncle but not about this. "It turns out they have the same father," he added.

"You are only telling me about this right now?" I questioned.

"I thought you knew. I stumbled into it when the detective handed me a file on Ashley earlier. I thought you had already read it." He answered.